Demo Site

Monday, January 9, 2012

Being hurried, Victoria in Bowie

Yesterday seemed to be rushed but it was the cap to a rushed weekend. It was so rushed in fact, that when I got to the office in Decatur this morning I discovered that I had forgotten my computer when I left the office on Friday evening. Fortunately there is a backup in the office for me to use while here. It does feel weird to have to borrow a computer. That was not a happy discovery this morning.


Saturday Mama, Victoria and I spent the entire morning trying to pick out a pair of work boots suitable for the farm. (That is, after we dropped off Chase at the airport.) It is forecast to be quite wet today and tomorrow and Mama does not want to spend the entire week in gum boots. Victoria has no shoes suitable for wet work. I do not have the same worries since my time is almost always limited to only several hours.

I insisted that both Victoria and Mama spend at least a half hour in the boots being considered prior to buying them because I have been through the purchase and return process too many times with Mama. She will swoon about how comfortable a pair of shoes is when she tries them on in the shoe store only to return them several days later because when worn for a longer period of time they turn out to be not so comfortable.

I spent a lot of time in Lowe’s trying to get the right electrical parts for our part of dropping power to the well. Only last night did Grandpa and I discover that one of the pieces will not fit the disconnect I bought. I am hoping to get the correct part at the local store today but I am worried that they will not have the same brand as the box I bought. Oh well, we will find a way to make something work.

I suppose we will discover today what items we may have forgotten in our rush to pack our suitcases, pack the car, rush to eat lunch after rushing away from church in order to make it to Bowie in time to be in church with Grandma and Grandpa. We did make it to the service. We did enjoy it, but the unpacking after church was a little harried since I was still rushing to get it done and have things ready for me to leave in the very early a.m. today.

Victoria was pretty happy to make it to Bowie. Her pup had her worried since he is a difficult fit for us and a very difficult fit for Grandma and Grandpa. While we were unpacking in the cold, the pup decided to test his potty skills in the home Grandma and Grandpa are renting. Victoria fussed at Mama for not watching closely enough. She fussed at the pup for a poor introduction and I fussed at Mama for getting so distracted by Victoria, Grandma and the pup that I was running out of room in the little laundry room where I was staging the items being unloaded from the car. Meanwhile, Grandma was ducking her head and Grandpa was shaking his.

It took Victoria a while to recover, but after getting started on some of Grandma’s chicken and dumplings, corn and green beans and she was feeling better. The pup was too interested in the food we were eating to be worried about his unfortunate “accident” even though Victoria continued to scowl at him. Grandma was trying to find happy songs to play and happy thoughts to tell so Victoria would smile, but in the end, it was the food that worked its magic on her.

I have been after her for several days to put together a resume. That has not happened so today I will be writing it for her. There are several applications she will be filling out and turning in over the next several days but it is one of those things that are difficult for Victoria to do. She wants to have another job, she just does not want to go through the exercise required to get it. It often requires too much talking on her part – which is why I wanted her to have a resume ready. That would at least organize her thoughts when she does get an interview.

Right now she is hoping for the best and longing for it to be over.

0 comments:

Post a Comment