Demo Site

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Rainbows and sunsets, setting traps, Victoria, Chase

On my way home Monday afternoon, the rain let up and the sky opened up to show some blue through the bunched up rain clouds. As it did, the most brilliant rainbow I have seen in years projected across the sky. It had at least six well defined bows within in and the mirror image that is rarely seen was easily seen above it.


I called Mama to see if they were seeing it also and she answered with, “Do you see this rainbow? It’s right over our farm!” From where I was stopped it very well could have been right over the farm. It lasted about forty five minutes before the outer rainbow started to fade. Then the main rainbow shrunk back into the horizon, but it was a sight while it lasted.

Last night Grandpa, Victoria and I were at the farm in the late evening feeding the dogs and making sure the chickens had water as the sun began to set. Again, the sky was beginning to clear but the lingering clouds were painted such vibrant colors that it made us stop in our tracks to watch the display. I cannot describe the colors – I would get them wrong anyway – but it was, like all sunsets, a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Grandma and Mama were watching from the house, but I think we had the better view in the open field at the farm. They argued the point but I know I’m right.

While we were at the farm we set out two traps in an effort to catch the predators that have been slinking around in the dark. I went to the farm this morning before coming to work to check the traps and both were undisturbed. I also wanted to see if the dusk-to-dawn light was working because as we left the farm it had not come on even though those of our neighbors were already shining. It was in fact working, but we may have to rotate the sensor to the east to get it to come on earlier.

Victoria talked to the personnel managers at the local Wal-Mart to see if they had gotten the request for transfer from Sam’s in Amarillo. They had not. The people here told her they would call her today or tomorrow to let her know if they would be able to use her here. I hope they will be more diligent than the folks in Amarillo. On my part, I talked to my boss for about an hour yesterday and he let me know that there would be no moves to Decatur from Borger this year. So Mama and I will settle down in Amarillo and continue to make the trip over at least one week per month – until we begin to foster, if we follow through on that.

I suppose that is good information. It is at least something we can act upon for future planning purposes even though it is not the news I wanted to hear. God is still in control and I have every confidence that He will do that which does us good and glorifies Him. I can ask for no better than that. Mama still loves me. God still uses and blesses us. Grandma and Grandpa are settled where they are and doing great.

I’d say we are in good shape for the moment.

As we were reading through the Farmer’s Almanac last night I came across several cute quotes. I do not have it in front of me but one I particularly remember is, “Your ears are not made to close, but your mouth is.” One other was, “You cannot do all the good the world needs, but the world needs all the good you can do.”

Chase and Mama have talked several times but I have not been read into his situation. He seems to be enjoying school and the pace of extra curricular activities that accompany it. He has already been out to eat several times at places that made Mama jealous and everyone in the church was excited to see him again. They are even more thrilled that he will be there for several months. The quibbling has already begun over housing him with several families in the competition to keep him in their home and the sparring over favorite sports teams is in full swing.

Like most teenagers, my son loves the” my team, your team” trash talk. The really funny part is that he has Mama engaged in it.

I never saw that coming.

0 comments:

Post a Comment