Demo Site

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Place your order, varmints, peace

Cori let Mama in on a family secret yesterday; they are thinking about having another baby. It seems they have been talking to the children about the idea and of course, they are totally on board with it. Both Mykenzie and Grant favor the next member of the Mortenson clan being a girl. In fact, Mykenzie has a name already picked out – Morgan. In their true childlike faith, they are already asking God’s blessings on their sister. They have a 50/50 chance with genetics. With God, the potential goes up much higher.


One of Cori’s friends in now pregnant with her fourth and her oldest also placed his order for a sister. That seemed a bit unusual since he has two brothers. His mother was expecting the request to be for an additional brother. The mother wants to name the child Campbell – though I am not sure why, but her son insists on praying for baby Sally. When his mom asked him why Sally, he answered as though she should know. “Our names are Stewart, Shepherd and Sabin, all S’s. So her name has to be Sally.” Who could argue with that? I hope he is not disappointed since the little one is already 6-8 weeks along, which, I am pretty sure is past the exchange date.

Tomorrow will be Victoria’ last day at Sam’s. We will drive over to her new home on Thursday night after revival services. I think she is excited about the move, but, honestly, it is hard to tell. Grandpa on the other hand is quite excited about the move. He is making plans for the next several weeks that will require her help. Starting the seeds for the garden is a very high priority. Getting equipment hauled in is another.

While Mama and I were in training last night Grandma called and left a message on Mama’s phone. Last week we began to set out live traps in an attempt to catch whatever varmint is killing our guineas. One of those traps caught a very large rat. Mama was freaking out though never having seen it almost as much as Grandma who had seen it. Grandpa shot and killed it; then shot it twice more to make sure.

Now both Mama and Grandma favor burning down the little house in lieu of remodeling it. I do not know what one has to so with the other, but I am wrestling that issue for the moment. Changing the structure will not eliminate the vermin any more than a thorough remodeling job will do. They would simply have newer materials to build their nests from either way; with remodeling being cheaper and faster to complete. Goodness sakes. On this farm we do not want the rats and mice to have to work with any old stuff. We will give them fresh materials to use.

While Mama, Victoria, Grandpa and the two guests were cleaning up brush last weekend, they stirred up a few mice which were caught by Victoria’s little dog. He seems to be averse to the little creatures and was murderous on them – literally. Maybe, with him in the house there will be some security for the women. My solution; catch and introduce under the house several snakes to keep the rat population in check. Grandma is opposed to that one although nature may work it out in my favor regardless.

Mama and I were talking on the way from our training about the idea that a direction, an unction must be associated in our hearts with a perfect peace before we are to act upon it. I am not in agreement with that thought. Personally, I rarely have a true peace in any of the difficult decisions I make. There is a resolve in my heart to act upon the perceived instructions or directions I have, but not necessarily a peace. My wicked heart and selfish nature always cause me to second guess even the most certain of those decisions.

Our pastor calls Phil 4:6-7 the red light/green light verses for spiritual guidance. He teaches that if there is not peace in a decision, do not act. Perhaps what I equate with resolve is peace, but I am not certain. Patience will always reveal more and more of God’s plan but waiting can lead to deleterious results also if it is motivated by fear or procrastination. There is rarely the need to hurry with God. So there must be a balance. Even in buying the farm, an exercise in which God obviously showed His leading, I told my father that I would only know we had made the right decision several years from now as we see God’s long term involvement in the project.

Perhaps, I am not spiritual enough and I know I do not spend enough time in prayer. But I am working through the idea.

0 comments:

Post a Comment