Demo Site

Monday, March 5, 2012

Grandpa, more planting, Joshua, Victoria

Grandpa made it in to Bowie late on Saturday night. It was almost midnight when he pulled in but Mama and Grandma were up to greet him. I woke up but did not get up. Rather, I got up early Sunday morning and looked out the window to see the trailer and how it was loaded. He spent most of the day unloading the trailer at the farm and I was able to help him after church. We got done in time to go to church that evening – and I even got about thirty minutes nap before we had to get ready for church.


Mama and I had spent most of the day on the farm. It was the very fist time I had been able to spend a full Saturday in Bowie. Every other time we are there on Saturday we have to break in the early afternoon and head home. I finished putting in the posts I had bought for the cover I want to put over the log package and later that evening Mama and I planted strawberries and a grape vine we had bought. This evening I hope to plant the remainder of the strawberries we bought.

All of the plants we bought recently have been on the discounted rack so I do not really know how viable they are, but it is worth the time and effort to experiment. In the event that any of them bear fruit we will be glad we did. The fun part is that the ground is so easy to work it takes only a few moments to plant anything. The soil pH seems perfectly suited to the types of plants we are putting in it. All of the berries, vines and trees are doing very well and Grandpa told me there are elderberries coming up by the shop.

I thought about taking today off but elected to come to work since the day will be a down day at the farm as Grandpa makes repairs and sets up equipment for plowing and planting. It is supposed to rain in the middle of the week, but we will take that as it comes. I want to make sure the days I do take off are the days when he really needs help – days we plow all day long or days when we plant and have a lot of team required tasks. Any time I am there to help is appreciated, but I want to make sure the time is maximized.

One of the items Grandpa bought was a sprayer; at least, it will become a sprayer. The 250 gallon tank is mounted on wheels and has some attached structure from which to hang the boom arms to deliver liquid fertilizer to our fields. There are some parts missing which Grandpa will outfit according to some plans we found on the Amsoil website. He is quite excited because I had suggested some time ago that he and Victoria start a business of spraying AgGrand fertilizer on fields in the area. We are now getting the idea put together and may have it actually in practice in a month or so. Spraying fields is big business which goes on all year long; with and repeat business they could be very busy.

Joshua made it safely to Victoria, TX. He loaded all of his stuff in a mid sized U-Haul truck and headed south on Saturday – I think. He will be living temporarily with his karate instructor but already has an interview at Sam’s either today or tomorrow. I wanted to call Pastor Parrish yesterday to tell him Joshua is in town, but I got too caught up in the unloading efforts at the farm. I will try to rectify that oversight today.

Victoria is still sick. She still has a fever and a bad cough. She missed work and church this weekend - spending the majority of her time in bed. I have asked Mama to take her back to the doctor this morning so she can be reevaluated.

Obviously she needs a little more help.

0 comments:

Post a Comment