Demo Site

Thursday, April 3, 2014

Fast evenings, far too dry, technology


Wednesdays always seem to be a blur by comparison to the other evenings of the week. There is not much time at home before we have to rush off to church. I do not help the situation either. Since I have been leading the singing I like to get there early enough to make sure we have musicians and make sure the songs we have chosen for the night are ready to be played.

Last night we had to make a change only a moment before the service began. I generally have a backup plan but it is nice to have the few extra minutes to get things together. Everything turned out alright – even though I rushed Mama a little. Well, maybe more than a little since she walked out of the house without her make up bag. That rarely happens.

So far we have not gotten a drop of rain from the fierce storms that have passed over us. We have gotten a lot of wind which is not beneficial for any of our plants – domestic cultivated ones and native ones. Everything is dangerously dry. So far no April showers to give us May flowers, but that can all change in an instant.

The only good note is that we have lots of long hoses hooked up to the spigots supplied with water from a very good well. Only a little bit of water makes a tremendous difference to the thirsty plants. Though the plants look withered and droopy past redemption only a little water will perk them up in a matter of hours.

At this point I am a little hesitant to plant too much more - but only a little hesitant. If we do not plant the seeds we cannot reap the harvest – in spite of what it may take to keep the seeds growing properly. As I sit typing this page I can hear the thunder rolling. Too bad none of the noise will produce the rain we desperately need.

Last night Lee Davis preached. His theme was that we have allowed technology to become our idol, our god. He read several passages that said the children of Israel worshiped the things that they had “made with their own hands.” He used an iPhone as an example. It was not difficult to make the connection. He said we often pray (in practice) to our technology idols, “I want you. I want to know you better. I want you to teach me all things.” It is a poignant argument.

Speaking of technology; I had to spell the word poignant several ways before I got it close enough that spell check could bale me out.

So it is not all bad. It is only the prominence we give it in our lives that forces our focus away from God for our daily needs – especially spiritual and emotional ones.

0 comments:

Post a Comment