Demo Site

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Freezing temps, blood moon, farm questions


Mama and I were taking precautions last night to protect what we could from the freeze that was predicted to happen overnight. Fortunately, we have very little above ground in the garden but I did try to protect the blueberry bushes in my little orchard. There was nothing I could do for the other trees. All of them are too big to cover easily; especially with the winds we were dealing with. They should be okay since the temps were just above freezing.

The plants we bought at Trade Days went into the laundry room with the baby pigs where they could stay warm through the night. Those plants were my chief concern because we would have no opportunity to replace them at the dollar per plant price we get at Trade Days – and we would lose two months of growth since we will not be back to Trade Days until June.

There was a total lunar eclipse last night and I bet it was spectacular. When I went out to close up the chickens the moon was so full and bright that I called Mama and Victoria out to see it. It was late in the evening but there was still enough light for Victoria to get some pictures without the flash. It will be fun to see how those pictures came out. (The peak of the eclipse was at 3 a.m. so I missed it by choice.)

When there is a lunar eclipse the moon turns a deep red. The Indians called the event a blood moon and it had a very significant meaning for them. For us it is interesting to note that this blood moon happened on the first day of the Passover. Whether that is significant or not is beyond my grasp but it is still interesting. Jesus said there would be signs in the Heavens at the last days but I have no idea if the blood moon will be one of those signs. There is one more predicted for October this year and two more in 2015 so we may yet have a chance to watch one.

It will be back up to the eighties by the end of the week. Spring will soon be burned away by summer and we will be complaining about the heat. I am starting to get a little apprehensive about the wheat we have growing in the big meadow and how I am going to get it cut and baled this year. I am not even completely sure when it needs to be done but it will have to wait until we get back from Florida - late May. I hope that is not too late.

I am new at most of this farming stuff and our resident expert is in West Virginia. I suppose I can learn from my mistakes as well as anyone but I would rather be taught to avoid the mistakes. We are still up in the air as to whether Grandma and Grandpa will be coming back to the farm this spring or not. I do know Grandpa needs the break from the winter weather they are having up north.

The warmth would do him good.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment