Demo Site

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Plans in the works, our kids traveling in, new focus


Mama and I had almost no time together yesterday. She was at an eye appointment in Decatur about the time I was leaving Decatur to go home to get ready for church. It was on the drive home from church that we did get to talk about the farm needs in our absence and she convinced me that they are covered sufficiently to allow us to go to Florida after the wedding – which is this weekend. The only caveat is that we will have to take all the dogs with us to Florida.

I am not thrilled about making a thirteen hour drive with three dogs. Kira is getting big enough that her natural aroma is more than a little noticeable. When she is wet it is almost more than I can take. Sharing the van with the three of them, meeting their potty needs, ensuring their safety at every stop, etc., does not give me fun, happy thoughts. Grandpa has always had a phobia about sharing the same air with animals. I am starting to lean that direction also. In the end, I will go whatever Mama needs me to do to get her to Florida and back but I do not share her emotional attachment to the dog and therefore am far more reluctant to go to extremes to meet their needs; past any basic needs.

Cori called last night to report that the rain was falling in such vast amounts that her house was flooding. The back yard was submerged in over four inches of water and the sheer volume of water coming down was finding its way into the backroom of her house. Nate opened the gates to the fence in the back yard in an attempt to let the water out but it did no good. The entire area around their neighborhood was equally flooded.

She and Nate and the kids are supposed to leave Florida this morning to travel to the farm but that might have to be postponed if the cleanup from the flooding is severe. As she and Mama talked just a bit later in the evening the rains had abated somewhat and the water getting into the house had slowed but the threat of more such rains is extended through tonight. We will see what today brings and adapt our plans accordingly.

Tonight is the last night of the Mission’s Conference. I am always relieved and apprehensive at the same time when meetings like this come to a close. I hate to see them end but I am almost equally glad that they are over. It is a very busy and uplifting time simultaneously. God is doing something wonderful in our church and I do not want it ever to return to a sense of just maintaining the normal flow of services.

So the bottom line is that after tonight Mama and I will be busy with visiting family, the wedding and plans for travel with a more focused approach to personal and family needs. I will be setting up the farm for someone else to care for and repairing farm implements for service when we get back from vacation. I had thought about working a couple days next week; in between the wedding and our leaving for Florida, but that is still undecided.

Tomorrow I pick Brittany up at the airport and the following morning we will pick up Joshua at the bus stop in Denton. Saturday we will all head to Amarillo for the wedding. Chase and Makaila are about ready to get this over with – and all their plans have been relatively low key.

Mama is more receptive to the whole idea at this point but she and I are praying much about it also.

0 comments:

Post a Comment