Demo Site

Friday, February 16, 2018

Feeling blah, our business, morning surprises


When I got home yesterday evening, I changed and headed over to our neighbors to get a bale of hay for the cows. Mama had told me the day before that Daisy was sifting through the stubble on the ground where the last bale had been placed, so it was pretty clear that the four of them had gotten all there was to get out of the last bale I had retrieved. A new one was in order. I took Bella with me so she could get some exercise. Mama has her a bit chunky. It was actually warm, a bit windy and 74°F. By the time I had gotten the bale of hay to the barn lot, taken the wrapping off and set the ring around the bale, Mama was home. She had made a couple stops in town before coming home. Once we finished feeding, I made myself a little bit to eat and we headed to my office. I had not felt energized at any point through the day yesterday. It was not that I felt bad. I just did not seem to have the energy to feel good. I would have loved to just sit at home last night, but Mama and I promised each other that we would be faithful to a schedule concerning this business – so I dragged myself out of the house so we could work. I was a good thing we did.

Mama and I almost missed a call from the person who was going to walk us through the process of setting up our company. We had both forgotten about the call so when the number showed up as we were on our way to my office to do some research, Mama did not cut off Maggie – who she was talking to at the time – to take the call. It was only after we got to work, and she listened to the voicemail that followed the two missed calls that we understood our mistake. That realized, we called customer service and were able to connect with the lady we had agreed to meet with to discuss setting up our business.

What we found out is that there is a lot more to the process than we realized. But I suppose if we are going to setup a legitimate business entity, the process should be a bit stringent. After all, we are building what we hope is a long-term business for this enterprise, so we should do our best to make sure the accounting foundation is as solid as possible. Looking over the notes I captured as Sharon guided us through the process, it may be a couple weeks before we have everything in place to operate as 4R9 LLC. Along with the initial LLC we are creating a retirement plan to act as both a 401k and a company profit sharing plan. It is a well thought out plan that will work in our favor for many years to come. It is also something I have always wanted to do; to set up a proper business…and to prosper in that business. We did a few things after the call -  mostly discuss our path forward and our preferred timeframe for getting all of this done - before we packed up and headed home. Mama and I got home at about 8:15 and I was in bed shortly thereafter.

We had an interesting morning. After realizing I had stepped in Mocha’s poop, I let her out of our bedroom and headed toward the front door to let her out of the house. The front door was wide open. Fortunately, it was warmish through the night and Sasha was camped at the doorstep – so we did not get any animal intruders – but it was alarming to find that the door had not been shut. Our front door is not loose fitting, so it would have had to have been left partially open for the wind to open it further. No one knows how that happened. Hopefully, we can keep it from happening again.

Nate, Cori and the kids should be getting to the farm this afternoon. They will be with us for a few days before heading out on their last leg of deputation. It should be a fun few days.

0 comments:

Post a Comment