Demo Site

Thursday, August 23, 2018

Looking a bit deeper, old fogies, sales report


Sometimes it feels as though there are days that are completely uneventful. I have had those. Yesterday may have been one. I got home from work, ate a small dinner and went out to feed. Between getting home from her day at school and going to church, Mama spent most of the time on the couch. She always fusses a bit at me because I want to leave the house so early when we are going to church. After thirty-six years of marriage you would think she knows that I like to arrive early. To arrive early, you must leave early, but that is not how she thinks. Anyway, we got to church almost a half hour early, but we were not the first ones there. Several people were already in the sanctuary and the folks from the nursing home were arriving. As I picked out a mission letter to read, the pastor put on his suit jacket and I said, “I got the memo.” At first, he did not understand but we had on suits so similar that we really looked like twins. Mama was just coming into the sanctuary at that time. She had stayed in the car to put on some makeup. I told her the same thing as she walked past the pastor and I. She understood right away. But insisted that the two brownish suits were not the same color of brownish – and that she did not ike the color of mine that well as she liked the color of the pastor’s suit.

I looked at the pastor and said, “Pastor I need to go home and change.” Everyone around us laughed. Mama scolded me right away. Which made everyone laugh again. I told Mama, “I can’t be up in front of the church in an ugly suit. I already feel self-conscious just standing here.” More laughter. More scolding from Mama. Those kinds of conversations do not happen when we get to church just in time. I will not relate other times of repartee throughout the day, at work and at home, but they are worth remembering because they fill the day meaning – if not purpose. My challenge to you. Look for those times in your day today. I am sure they will be there. Perhaps these “uneventful” days will look less sterile. Mama and I are a boring couple to hang out with, but we have interesting and important moments during each day.

Hopefully, we will become less boring as Mama becomes more mobile again, but for now we will tolerate and maybe even find purpose in our “old fogie” lifestyle. It does give Mama time to keep up with our children and grandchildren as she convalesces. Sadly, if I am not included directly in those conversations, I do not hear about the events relayed to Mama. I have to listen for tidbits of information and mine out the details sometime after the conversation has taken place.  But eventually most of the details are communicated. If not, I get the overview and extrapolate down from there.

We did get the check from selling out three Nigerian Dwarf goats. It was a pleasant surprise to see that the proceeds matched our expectations. That money will be used to buy more feed as we let the farm support itself. Friday, buyers are coming for our two Myotonic bucklings. We already have an established price on them and that money will go into the farm fund as well. As that stands, we have enough money to buy feed and hay for several months; perhaps through the end of the year. November-ish we are going to take two of our cattle herd to be processed. We already have several people interested in quarters and halves. We will have only one heifer left to feed after we make that sale. She should be cheap to keep – comparatively speaking.

In addition to meeting the buyer tomorrow, Mama and I are meeting with fellow investors that evening. At the office, I have an all-day presentation to give, so I will be more busy than usual. Fortunately, Mama is not going to the school tomorrow because of her physical therapy session. That will provide her a larger window of time to make the afternoon buyer appointment. My day will be packed. Hopefully productive. I told Mama we need to go above and beyond if we are going to make this business work, so this meeting is a step out into potential partnerships that will help us broaden our approach and hopefully broaden our opportunities to invest. We cannot do this on our own but need to be careful who we yolk up with. Pray for us old fogies as we seek wisdom in those partnerships.

Take time to enjoy – and hopefully remember – the fun moments you experience today.

0 comments:

Post a Comment