Demo Site

Friday, August 24, 2018

Meetings, sales and more meetings


I started out the day in a day-long meeting but that rapidly shortened to only a half-day. The last half to be rescheduled for later next week. This mornings meeting was a boon to me because I needed the time to go through the presentation I will be giving next month in Alabama. Since the project was shelved last year I have not had the chance to walk through the slides and book in an audience participatory format since I wrote the presentation. It always comes out differently when people are listening to my presentation than when I practice it in my head. I admit to the whole thing being pretty rough. It was not as polished or as proficient as I need it to be, but now I can get there. It gave me a chance to see just how much more work I must do to get ready and where that effort will be better spent. At least I know what I am going to focus on for the next several weeks.

Meanwhile, Mama stayed home today. She texted me to say she was not going to her PT appointment this morning because she did not feel well. As soon as I got a break, I called to see what was hurting enough to keep her home, so I could get some context. It turns out that she overdid it yesterday evening. She mowed last night. All the time she spent on the mower went without incident. Mama enjoyed the time on her zero turn; she always does. However, when she was getting off the mower after she parked it she stepped off the mower like she had not had knee replacement surgery. Her knee bent sufficiently to get her off the mower without falling to the ground, but she did stress the joint itself. I was seed eating around the house, so I did not see her misjudgment. Because of that misstep, she spent the night in considerable pain. She whined a little to me and Victoria. “How long would it have taken for you guys to see that I had fallen down? Would you guys even think to check on me? And a couple other such statement. She was trying to sound casual and humorous, but I think she was more serious than she wanted to let on. I would not have looked for her until I finished what I was doing. Victoria perhaps longer than that. Fortunately, it was not an issue.

Since she was home, it was fairly easy to meet the couple who had arranged to buy our goats. I have been after Mama to get the paperwork together to send off to have the boys registered, but that has not happened yet. Maybe soon. Those registrations will be a big part of the buyer’s breeding program. But as of this afternoon, the upper goat area is unoccupied. That will simplify the feeding routine and conserve feed. Those two boys ate as much as all our girls put together. This weekend I will do some cleanup of the yard and the pig building to get it ready for pigs. So, the conserving on feed will not last long. I think we are looking at October, but we have not set a specific date. Now that we have the money, I do not believe we will wait that long. Right now, pigs seem to be cheap. If we do buy the pigs, whoever keeps our farm while we are in Honduras will have their hands full.

This evening we are still planning on meeting the couple that we are looking to for some help understanding liens and online auctions. Mama suggested this afternoon when I called to check up on her that she may not feel up to going, but we need to get this done. We need to keep going. At the very least, she can get a meal at Panera’s out of the conversation.

So far, I do not have a long Saturday list, but I am confident I can find things to fill the day…after I sleep in a little later than usual.

0 comments:

Post a Comment