Demo Site

Friday, August 31, 2018

Fruit fast, sale fail, long weekend plans


Somewhere in her online searching Mama found out about a fruit fast. A three-day exercise where you eat nothing but fruit. She seemed excited about it. Victoria seemed excited about it. I told her to go for it. So, Wednesday night after church she and I went to Walmart – the source of all things necessary – and bought about $50 worth of fruit. Mangos, watermelon, cantaloupe, peaches, plums, apples, kiwi, nectarines, cuties, grapes, cherries, bananas, etc. Yesterday we ate only from that mix. Mama packed us a large container of fruit she had cut up and mixed together for our lunch.

She called me before lunch and apologized that she thought she had not brought enough; she was hungry. I was not sure what size container she had filled but I was not worried. I could have gone without eating anything. As it turned out, it was more than enough for the two of us. In fact, we were struggling to finish it so that it would not go to waste. When I got home last night I cut up the watermelon, cantaloupe and the pineapple. We ate on that for dinner. The chickens ate the scraps.

Mama asked me if I thought she would make it three days eating only fruit and I told her the truth. I did not thing she would do it. Not that she could not do it. Just that she probably would not do it. Victoria did not make it through the first day. She made herself eggs and toast for a late breakfast, ate fruit for lunch and then had a bowl of cereal for dinner. Still far less than she would normally eat. Maybe that will inspire Mama to stick with the original plan. Maybe not. For lunch today, I am expecting a fruit medley again. It is substantially more than I take in when I am doing my typical three day fast. I marked my weight and blood pressure before we started. I will see what results from the fast when I get up Sunday morning. Even after one day, I like the results I can see. I weigh myself every morning. I believe the adage, “What gets measured gets managed.”

Our original plans for the day included Mama meeting a buyer this morning. I asked Mama last night to text the buyer and make sure he was still coming. She got a text back pretty quickly that he had purchased a stock trailer closer to him, so he was no longer interested. I am glad Mama double checked. It would have been a very disappointing morning for her to stand around waiting on someone who was not going to show up. So, I will repost the stock trailer in a couple different sites and see what we get. We are still 83 days out from our trip to Honduras, so we still have time to find a buyer. We are planning to use the proceeds from the sale to fund the trip. If that does not happen, we will find another way.

For the long weekend ahead, we have made no real plans other than working on projects at the farm. Victoria is going to visit Brittany, but Mama and I are going to stay put. I will be working on the shop. I did a little last night, but I will have to undo some of the work because of a change of plans for the use of the addition I am putting on the back of the shop. I want to be able to park Mama’s mower in the addition and keep it covered through the winter. Plus, it will be easier to work on if I have it parked at the shop. With a three-day weekend, I should be able to get the addition finished. I my not have materials for the doors, but I can get the structure completed. The caveat is giving her passage into the back yard from the back of the shop. That will take some fencing work, but it should be doable. Moving the mower will devastate Tom. It has become his adopted home. We would have had to do something for this winter anyway – if he hangs around. I am sure he will figure something out. Almost anything outside the house is fine with me.

Hopefully, we will cut down the dead tree by the birthing center this long weekend; providing I can find enough help to satisfy Mama.

0 comments:

Post a Comment