Demo Site

Friday, November 12, 2010

Snow days, Premature Mommys

I generally make these posts a day behind but today I think the news is significant enough that I will make it current – at least in part.
I generally wake up over several hours when I am working days and though this job is only days, the habit has been hard to break. I started looking at the clock about 4:30am and was not surprised to see lightening flashes piercing the thick drapes we have in the hotel room. As we were in the mall last night the thunderstorms started to drop rain in buckets full on Amarillo and the streets immediately flooded.
So this early a.m. I was not surprised to see the storms were still around. I knew it would be a slower drive to work so I left the hotel room about 5:15a.m., computer bag and lunchbox in hand and started down the hall to the exit nearest the car. It seemed awfully light outside for that time of the morning and it seemed really white. It was, in fact, very white.
Amarillo and the surrounding area were getting hammered with blizzard-like conditions. I stood at the door – inside – and called my boss to let him know that I would not be in today. At that time there was about ½” of fresh snow on the ground and it was blowing in sideways carried by 25-40mph winds. Now an hour and one half later we have about two plus inches on all stationary objects.
The kicker is that the late afternoon is forecast to be sunny and 45 degrees. For the moment we enjoying looking out of the huge window in our room, seeing the huge snowflakes accumulate. This scenario is about the best we could hope for.
Yesterday my daughter called to tell me about the grandkids and their interactions. It is always fascinating to see such interplay at the two and three-year-old level. He pulls her hair. She cries. She snatches a toy away from him. He cries. Both offences punished at Mommy’s diligent hand.
Yesterday was a reading day. Mykenzie with her book and Grant with him. Both on the couch, but each with their own book. As usual, Mykenzie had to go potty. Carefully putting down her book, she looked sternly at Grand and commanded, “Don’t touch my book! Okay?” Grant, in his two-year-old way, looked at her book, looked at her and said “Okay” with the same lack of full understanding that most males have in such circumstances as if to say, “Why would I touch your book in the first place?”
Convinced she was fully in charge, she bounded off to the bathroom. And in true female fashion, just to make sure things were still as she had organized them, she called out, “Grant, are you touching my book?” “No Kenzie.” he responded with unfeigned irritation. “Grant, you are supposed to say, ‘No Maam.”
Papi is already praying for this child’s husband.

0 comments:

Post a Comment