Demo Site

Monday, November 15, 2010

Too full, the little things

Seth and Chase are enjoying their new sense of independence – for the moment. It all ends soon. Chase will start school this Friday and Seth is looking for a job near the house. We will be in the house by Friday but there will be considerable rearranging to do in expectation of the arrival of the girls and Grandma and Grandpa.


I suppose it is inescapable that we will have to share the house until they can find a place to live but having been essentially living out of a suitcase for almost a month I am not looking forward to the house being that filled with people. No matter how much we love each other we all still need our space. And I have made no attempt to find a place for anyone but my wife and our children, so the hunt is not yet over. (Mama is quietly looking but has not said too much to me about it.)

That alone is one of the reasons it was very difficult for me to walk away from the house with the acreage. That much room was hard to resist and there may be some lingering regrets after we get crowded together, but if Mama and I pursue our financial directives first we will reap more long-term benefits. Besides, we know this is only temporary. I am just a little nervous about being held responsible for too much outside of my own immediate family needs.

We are wrestling with internet and cable vs. Direct TV. For me it is not a matter of the cost but rather the mess of installing Direct TV so Mama is investigating the packages and costs of each while running the necessary errands for the boys and herself as we close accounts and open others, rearrange mail service, set up for shipments on hold to now be released to our new address, and move bits of the stuff we have stuffed in the hotel room to closets and shelves in the house.

Remembering how quickly the garage filled up as we moved into the apartment in Somerset, I am curious to see how much space will be swallowed up as we expand slightly into our house. Of course, remembering that we have the contents of another house coming to us in a few weeks.

For the first time in a dozen years Mama and I will get to attend a company Christmas party and yes, they call it a Christmas party here. I will also be free to attend the annual church dinner at our new church –for the first time in over twenty-five years. Having every weekend off has not sunk into my psyche yet, but I think the idea is gaining ground among my forward thinking faculties.

This ought to be an interesting holiday season.

0 comments:

Post a Comment