Demo Site

Monday, June 20, 2011

Church, Mykenzie’s expectations, the beach


Although I truly love our church in Amarillo, every time we are here in the church Cori and Nate attend, we feel a sense of being at home. Over the years of visiting we have made some very good friends and their welcome is warm and comfortable every time we show up. We have always felt that way, even when we were living in New Jersey, but for some reason the feeling is stronger right now. It may have something to do with the grandkids getting older.
I asked Mykenzie, who will be four tomorrow (the real reason we are here) what special day was coming up this week. She explained she was having a party. I asked what is the party for? She explained matter-of-factly, “It’s for me to marry to Stewart.” Needless to say, her Mom was shocked by the engagement, so for now, we will make it a birthday party and delay the nuptials for about twenty years.
Brittany came from Hot Springs on Saturday night. She drove over with a friend and Andrew, who happened to be stationed nearby, came over Sunday morning to go to church with us; strange how that worked out. I think he got back to base rather late. We talked after church and things were tense – to say the least. He is a jewel. I do not think Brittany could have chosen better.
Cori, Brittany, Maggie and Paige are at the beach right now getting burned. It is the only chance Brittany and Paige will have to spend in the surf and sand. They will be heading back tomorrow evening. It is a rare chance for Cori to get to the beach without her normal troop. I hope they enjoy it. Meanwhile, we are cooking a brisket and fixings for a birthday dinner for Brittany.
We went to the beach on Saturday and had a great time. Victoria got some terrific pictures of the kids and some of Mama and me. Mama was not happy about the pictures but she has not insisted that they be deleted…yet. She did not get in the water because it was full of algae. I thought it looked a particularly beautiful shade of green. She was not impressed.
The Princess Party for our granddaughter is the focus of our full attention for the rest of today and all day tomorrow. My daughter is freaking out – a little - but all things will work out somehow: the money, the venue, the guests, the cake, the meal, etc. I have to admit it is a lot of planning that goes into such a gathering.
I think I would rather plan a wedding, but that will come soon enough.

0 comments:

Post a Comment