Demo Site

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Eating right, Shipley’s, Mama’s travel plans, differing levels of understanding

I have decided that it is impossible to lose weight when I am away from home if I eat regular meals. We do eat a little differently when we are out of the house but I think we give ourselves too much license when we are traveling. Almost all fast food is off the “healthy” menu although some have relatively healthy salads or chicken sandwiches, but it does not work out the same for our bodies to eat prepared foods.


Wendy’s has been our go to place in transit and lately we have added McDonald’s since they have added several salads we like. There is almost nothing else out there we can eat with any hope of maintaining our weight and at our age (Mama and me) it is getting more difficult to lose any extra pounds. A doctor told me years ago that the average weight gain is two pounds per year for a married couple. Since Mama and I have been married twenty nine years, we are under the average, but not far enough to have bragging rights.

Enter Shipley’s Doughnuts, which tauntingly placed a shop on the way back to the motel where I am staying here in Houston. In Victoria, TX I would often try to get there early in the mornings while supplies were fresh and high. I was interested in getting my favorite donut – a cream filled chocolate donut. I was more often than not disappointed because they were almost always sold out. On the off chance that this shop had one of those particular donuts, I stopped last night. They did not have one, they had a tray of forty. I got two, planning on eating one last night and one this morning. Both donuts were gone by 8p.m. – which sort of proves my point above.

Mama and Victoria are on the road today. Maggie stayed behind to help and hopefully get a job while she is there since there were no open positions at Wal-Mart for her to transfer into. Mama told me she felt awkward leaving with just her and Victoria but they got a late start and may not get to Shreveport earlier than 8 or 9 p.m. That has become our halfway point in coming from Amarillo.

I got to say goodbye on Sunday evening but I know the grandchildren did not fully understand although Blake was upset at my leaving. I am sure they had some discussion after Mama and Victoria left, but leaving Maggie behind could become really confusing. Mykenzie has adapted to the coming and going and Grant seems to be acclimating, but Blake will not be there for some months yet. At their different levels of understanding, we can hope that Blake will remember us – me especially – when we go back in September.

I’m worried that Maggie will become his favorite. I’ve never been a favorite before.

0 comments:

Post a Comment