Demo Site

Monday, July 11, 2011

Western Hills, Old Friends, Math class

I got to go to church at Western Hill Baptist Church in Victoria last night. I did not get there in time for the morning service but I got to make it for the prayer time and the evening service. It is good to see old friends still serving the Lord. Ray Robinson was the first to se me and he did not recognize me right away. Then Wilma Parish came up behind me and called me by name. As I talked with Ray she went to get the pastor. As he came around the corner I said, “That’s no fair. I didn’t get to surprise you.” “Oh yes you did.” He just stared at me and said, Tim Kline. What are you doing here? Are there any more out in the van?”


Some were taken aback by my new hairstyle but on the whole everyone recognized me. Randy Magaro still leads the singing. Earnie and Maryanne are back in church; Arianna is ten years old. Bro Wayne is still strong and clear thinking. He told me he recognized me before Pastor announced who I was. Alice Corbin was there but John was away visiting his son. I think there were three or four families I did not recognize. We had a great time after church sharing the pictures Mama had sent with me. Pastor, Wilma, Cindy Smith and Martha Robinson had so many questions that I wished Mama was there as much as they did. It was good. I am glad I got to go.

As I showed up for class this morning I saw a person who looked familiar but I was not sure. As we stared at each other he asked my name. I responded with, “Are you Steve Whiddon?” Yes I am and you are Tim Kline.” My hair threw him off. His weight threw me off. I told him he is half the man I once knew. And he told me he was exactly half; he has lost 162# since a stomach bypass surgery last year. He looks very different but he is the same Steve Whiddon we all knew almost a decade ago. He told me he has three canoes in his back yard gathering dust waiting on us to come back and put them to use.

He sat with me in the class today. It consisted largely of calculations on mud flow and density to operate a well. He has been through the class seven times and it is thoroughly confusing. So, true to his character, I had a private tutor. The instructors pretty much left him alone to keep me up to speed. It was almost enjoyable.

I have to take the pictures for him tomorrow.

0 comments:

Post a Comment