Demo Site

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Lots of bread, Thanksgiving humor, thinking of doing better

I got home yesterday and Mama asked me what I thought we should do with the bread she had gotten from the bread store. She had bought what they call a “half rack” of non saleable bread. It is twelve trays of bread and related baked items for hog, chicken or bird food. It nearly filled up the back of the little van. Most of the loaves were fresh but the wrapping had been cut open somehow. It was tempting to keep some for ourselves but I told Mama we had no idea what they had been exposed to so to the chickens they go.


I filled three trash bags and it made a noticeable dent in the load. I expect it to take at least four more trash bags or six boxes. Either way it is a lot of stuff for the $5 price tag. At least our chickens will eat well the next couple weeks; after all it is Thanksgiving and we need at least one of them to be ready for dinner at Christmas.

I found some good recipes yesterday as I was looking for items for the Safety Meeting I have to do today. Most of them are for pies and cookies but one was for a green bean casserole. It caught my eye because it does not require a can of soup. It is a made-from-scratch recipe which sounds like it would be very good. Since I am looking to keep my salt intake very low, it is one I hope to try soon.

I also came across some very cute items. I was looking for Thanksgiving humor and it is amazing how much I had to sift through to find a couple very clever ones.

See below. This was my favorite!

I have a doctor’s appointment today to do the preliminary checkup for a colonoscopy. I have put it off for years and it is high time I got the procedure done. There is always the dread of bad news that overshadows such a diagnostic exam, but the news will be whatever it will be regardless of the expectation either good or bad. It is always better to know than be taken by complete surprise and there are ways to combat a poor result; things I need to do regardless of the review from the procedure.

It never ceases to amaze me how much we as individuals know to do right yet refuse to act on that knowledge. Diet is the prime example. Mama knows to avoid sweets. She suffers when she does not. Yet, she still does not. I know to avoid meats – especially pork. I suffer when I do not. Yet I still eat what I should not – and suffer for it.

Adopting any practice which denies ourselves is a difficult thing to do. Grandma is suffering from bone loss yet she refuses to stop drinking carbonated drinks – a primary aggravator of the condition. I suppose if eating something that was not good for us made us vomit it up right away we would be motivated to stop but such is not the case so we think we are getting away with it; even while the damage is being done.

It is a sad case in all of us and one that has kept me away from starting the herb shop I have often talked about. We can only help those who want to be helped. Sadly, by the time they ask for help there has been enough damage that their health and well-being has been greatly affected.

With the holidays upon us, let’s not forget that God expects us to be good stewards of our bodies and strive to enjoy the fellowship more than the food.

Good memories are always non-fattening and laughter (a merry heart) “doeth good like a medicine.” (Pr 17:22)


0 comments:

Post a Comment