Demo Site

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Mama, Chase, more dogs, the outhouse, chickens

Mama and I went to the doctor yesterday since she was feeling so badly in the morning. We went to a clinic in Bowie and after the initial visit I think we will be going there from now on. Mama has been fighting a very severe sinus infection. The doctor we spoke to said it has been making its rounds across north Texas and there is nothing modern medicine can provide to make it go away. He offered a steroid shot which we declined and suggested some over the counter medications which Mama was already taking.
She almost did not go since she was feeling better by the time I got to her. I left the office early so I could be there with her at the doctor’s office and she called me on the way to tell me she was better and was thinking about not going. We went anyway. I think we were both glad we did; more to meet the doctor than to solve the mystery concerning her ailment. Our biggest concern was that she had strep throat and since she did not we will keep doing what we are doing even though it is short changing her on her time here at the farm. She really does not like being sick.
Every time she is sick she tells people it has been several years since she was last sick – even though it has only been about six months. I corrected her this time when she was talking to Grandma and Grandpa and she was really surprised that I could think of a recent sickness. I told her I would check my blog entries for verification, but I probably won’t.
Chase and Victoria got home fine and in plenty of time for him to get to work. He is like someone else I know that likes to show up early. The truck did fine and the stormy weather they left in here in Bowie dissipated before they got to Wichita Fall. They thought the trip was an easy one also -as Mama and I have often said to each other. Victoria wanted to come back right away. They took both of the dogs with them even though Victoria was worried about leaving the pup for long periods of time after his relocation to Amarillo, but we were more concerned with Mama feeling badly that it would be too much for her to take care of the remainder of this week.
Since the man that is selling the pups has about a dozen left and he mentioned having trouble getting rid of them and since the pet shop near our Jennie house seemed very interested in the pup, I offered a suggestion. We could ask the man if he would extend his offer of selling a pup to us for $75 to selling us five pups at that price. We would then take them to Amarillo, clean them up and sell them for $200 each. Victoria and Mama want a pair and that wound give us four to sell – doubling our money. Mama and Victoria like the idea, we are waiting on the seller.
Grandpa and I put the finishing touches on the outhouse he built on the farm. It is pretty cute. It was put to immediate use last night – as soon as toilet paper was made available. We even provided a little shelving unit and a magazine rack for future occupants. I would like to have a sign like Victoria saw on a bathroom door in one of the homes she stayed in for Heather’s wedding. It read, “Reading limited to short stories and poems.” Grandma found a plaque of “Outhouse Rules” that was pretty cute, but I don’t remember them. I will have to update that tomorrow.
I took the rifles to the farm last night to see if I was even close on the job I did of sighting in the scope: turned out that I was pretty close. At one hundred yards, I put the first shot on the target when I shot from a standing position. The second shot, from a kneeling position was very hear the first. Then I compensated and shot again from a kneeling position and hit the bull’s-eye. I was happy enough with that. To really adjust the scope I will have to set up a bench to take out the wobble and jerk in my shooting, but what I have is close enough to start.
Mama was petting the chickens last night. Grandpa has the Rhode Island Red’s so tame that he has to be diligent about keeping the coop door shut of they will follow him out. It is anyone’s guess if we could get them back into the coop. We were looking at nesting boxes on our way home from the doctor yesterday. We were not impressed with the price but Grandpa seemed to be. We will not need it until some time around March. The question is whether or not it will still be available then.
Patience.

0 comments:

Post a Comment