Demo Site

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Our well, meal plans, time

The well is drilled and ready for the plumbing and electrical parts to be installed. The driller told Grandpa that it is one hundred feet deep, producing about twenty gallons per minute – that is outstanding! I spoke to the man who will be doing the plumbing and well pump installation and he is going to wait on the power to be run to the well to complete his work. I asked him to put in a frost proof yard hydrant during the installation so we will be able to use the well as soon as his work is done. Praise the Lord!


There are two other smaller wells on the property and I am trying to find the type of pumps that will be required to put them into use, unfortunately, I am having a little trouble with that. They are deeper than twenty five feet and only four inches in diameter. That does not allow me a very large volume of water to draw from when pumping so I need a small pump with a lot of lift; not an easy order in my price range.

Mama and I sat down last night to complete the shopping list for Thanksgiving. With only the six of us at the meal it is not a huge list, but it is an extensive one; covering appetizers to desserts, condiments and sauces, baking needs and containers for the leftovers. Grandma and Mama are both excited about the meal. I am excited about the time off. I am excited about having several days to help Grandpa at the farm. I am also looking forward to seeing my family in south Texas.

Depending on whether or not Victoria and Chase make the drive over for the day, we may have the three dogs with us for the event also. If they decide to stay in Amarillo, the dogs will stay with them and they will have dinner with local friends. It is a lot of driving for one afternoon; not our first choice, but times are busy and money is tight. Maybe Christmas will be better.

I was talking to one of my peers yesterday and he remarked that he was really ready for the time off. I guess it is a part of the holiday season and the year end. It is not that the date on the calendar has that much importance. It is more that we assign value to it as though we were completing something significant. January 1st will follow without delay the passing of December 31st and 2012 will start to count down. That year will pass even more quickly for most of us than this year has and we will stand here a year from today and wonder what happened to that year as we are wondering what happened to this one.

David asked of God in the Psalms (90:12) that He would teach him to number his days so that he would have the wisdom to know they were so few. I believe he wrote that as an old man. I look forward from here and see that by the time Chase comes home next year the year will be almost half over. Only a few more months and he will be in Bible College. About the same time my granddaughter will be starting school and her Mommy and Daddy’s years with her will swirl by until they will be standing where Mama and I are at the moment.

It is perhaps better as we enter this holiday season to realize that nothing is ending, nothing is beginning, life is just moving on and we had better make plans to enjoy every moment of every day as we journey through it together. Living for the Lord, being close to each other (emotionally and spiritually if not physically); nothing else really matters.

Enjoy the day. Don’t forget to share it liberally.

0 comments:

Post a Comment