Demo Site

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Updates

According to the vet and the websites I read yesterday we have quarantined the pups for 45 days. Grandma is convinced, and may be correct, that Sasha, who Mama found very bloodied after the skunk visit, was not bitten but rather herself on the cage as she tried to get away from the spray. Since we did not witness the event we are obliged to play it safe and err on the side of caution. The vet asked for 45 days of isolation before he would give the pups their shots and pronounce them healthy. At any time during that time we could be visited by a State health official who would check our quarantine setup. I hope that does not happen but it could in the case of suspected skunk attack – thereby rabies potential.


I called Victoria yesterday to let her know so she could be praying and so that she would be aware of the potential of losing the pups. Both Grandma and Mama were pretty upset with me. Both wanted to wait until she was here to tell her. I disagreed, and the cat was already out of the bag. It is disappointing, but it is life in the country. Should the pups survive, it is an episode that will probably never be repeated.

I will only work through lunch today so I should have plenty of time to help Grandpa with a project on the farm. I bought wire to run electric service to the outbuildings which will give Grandpa some light in the dark hours that come so quickly in the winter evenings. It will also enable us to put up some dusk-to-dawn lights which I hope will discourage the skunks from seeking shelter in our out buildings. Mama thinks it will give the pups some comfort in their confinement.

Grandma is practicing saying ‘Hi, my babies!” like Mama but I don’t think the pups will be fooled. It just doesn’t come out the same when there is not the true intent of the communication in the voice. Only Mama can pull that off.

Mama and I are planning on going to see my parents on Friday after some early morning shopping. We will go to see Sarah and Fabian on Saturday. It is nice to be close enough to make the visits even though they are abbreviated visits.

Brittany called last night to tell us that Mr. Kim, Andrew’s dad, had passed away yesterday. It was not unexpected but it still caught Andrew by surprise. He is either there or on his way. She will be leaving today or early tomorrow to see the family. As it turns out the father of Andrew’s sponsoring family at the Academy is a pilot and he is working on getting Brittany a buddy pass. She and Mama talked about it last night but I did not get the details after they did talk. Mama was too distracted by Grandma’s interjections into the conversation.

Victoria and Chase will be heading over today after she gets off work at 3 p.m. I do not know what Grandma has planned for them when they get here but I did overhear some discussion on having a meal of some sort ready for them. Victoria will be excited by that, I am not so sure about Chase. If the food is not wrapped, slid over a counter or through a small window, he does not get too interested. I will be interested to see him in about six or seven years – especially if he gets married in that timeframe.

In the next few days try not to let the holiday activities swallow you up. In all the cooking, cleaning, entertaining, and wiping up spills, remember to be thankful. We really do have so much to use, to share, to enjoy. If it was not such a bother to keep it all clean and in working order, life would be really fun.

0 comments:

Post a Comment