Demo Site

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Learning vs. testing, notes of interest

As Cori and I talked the other day she explained some of the frustration she was having with Grant. He seemed to be doing things which he knew he was not to do simply to see what the consequences would be; testing to see if the outcome would always be the same. Blake on the other hand is in the learning stage where he is not always aware of the consequences associated with a particular action, or his attention span so limited, he is still associating his actions with mommy’s reactions. Grant knows and still chooses to test the limits.


It reminds me of a more familiar adult attitude. If we are to be honest, we are guilty of doing the same thing as my three year old grandson. Mama, for instance, habitually drives five miles per hour over the speed limit. Are there consequences for that? Perhaps, but not very often. After all a police offices told her it was safe – although not legal – to do. I like to watch sci-fi movies and shows. Are there consequences for that? Probably, since I would not sit down with my pastor to watch them, but the consequences are not immediately obvious.

Psychologists would chalk it up to our competitive spirit, our exercise of individual freedoms, but it is only rebellion. Here’s what the Bible says, James 4:17 Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin. How sad, such a simple answer to such a complex emotional, psychological and spiritual issue. It is sin. Will my grandson ever loose that desire to step across known boundaries? I am fifty-two years his senior and I have not, but I am developing the discipline to choose better.

It is Cori and Nate’s job to shape his will without destroying his spirit. We need to be taught to desire the things of God with the full understanding of that choice rather than simply to avoid certain things for the fear of the consequences. Fear of the consequences (translate that, punishment) is a good start, but it is not the final outcome we ought to be aiming for.

Nate sat down the other day to read Mykenzie a book. Sadly, he picked the book that Grammy narrated for the grandkids. He was not allowed to read the book, Mykenzie explained, “Because Grammy is in it.” There is no higher authority in the world for Mykenzie than Grammy. I think she has chosen a good role model.

Becky and Charles are talking about coming down to Bowie around Christmas. Becky asked if she could bring her dog – another miniature Dachshund. I assured her that that would be alright, but asked her to keep him in good shape in case the coyotes got after him. Domestic animals are their favorite fast food.

Yesterday I did a compilation of all the blogs I have in the folder I use to house them on my work computer. There are 276 pages in the complied draft. I was amazed to see the number that high. It is not all of the entries for the year since some have been done from home, but it was all that I had access to for this printing. It still made a 138 page book.

Maybe I can write a book.

0 comments:

Post a Comment