Demo Site

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Home, Victoria and her horses, getting the message, produce

I worked half a day in the Decatur office yesterday so Mama and I could drive home on company time. We did not leave until after 2 p.m. and we took our time getting home with several stop – including dinner. We ended up in Amarillo about 7:30 p.m. When we hustle the trip takes us four hours. Yesterday, we did not hustle.


Mama and I are now at an impasse. Having found a good church in the Bowie area, we are more than ever drawn to the farm. As a consequence, Amarillo feels less like home to us. I am bound by my work to be in Amarillo as a home base, but there is a strong draw to be on the farm. Still, we will wait on the Lord.

On the way home I think Mama got ten or more calls. And she made a couple calls on top of that. Normally she would take a little nap. That was not the case. Several of the calls were from either Grandma or Victoria. Wes came back to the farm yesterday evening to help Victoria work with the filly. Misty, Grandma reported, was much easier to handle last night than she had been on Saturday afternoon. We were told that she took the halter easily and did not fight the lead rope. Victoria, who she seemed to respond to very well, led her easily and then got her to walk in a controlled circle several rounds. They were all pleased and excited.

Wes then took Grandpa and Victoria to the institute to ride the horses they keep over there. I do not know if Grandpa actually saddled and rode a horse but Victoria did. She said she rode a big bay mare named “Pumpkin” for about a half hour. I think this is the first time she has ridden a horse. She was thrilled.

What was funny is that Mama and Victoria were talking and Victoria was recounting the experience and she started to tell Mama about something Wes had invited them to do and the call dropped. Mama frantically called Grandma to have Victoria finish telling her about what the invitation was only to find out that Victoria and Grandpa were still on the road headed to the farm. I don’t remember how much later it was before the sentence was completed to Mama’s satisfaction but Mama had to draw it out of Victoria. It was something about a ride to be scheduled in the LBJ Grasslands.

What was really funny was that Mama called Grandma all excited about completing the thought with Victoria and she was trying to relate the need for Victoria to call her as soon as she got there. For some reason Grandma’s mind ran with the sense of urgency and she thought something was terribly wrong. I guess that is what happened because I kept hearing Mama say, “No Mom. I just need Victoria to call me as soon as she gets there.” No, Mom. She just didn’t finish telling me.” “No. They are okay.” “Well I’m sorry.” “I want to know what she was invited to do!” “Never mind. Just have her call me.”

When ever you talk to Grandma she is spooling up stories in her mind and getting ready to take over the conversation as quickly as possible. It often takes several false starts to relay the necessary information while the whirl slows in her mind. I just listened as I drove; happy to be outside the conversation.

Before we left the farm we picked some of the produce from the garden; green beans, peas, zucchini, yellow squash, onion, and potatoes. If all else fails we can still eat well for a couple months as the garden continues to produce for us.

We also brought back either four or five dozen eggs to sell. It’s not much but its fun.

0 comments:

Post a Comment