Demo Site

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Unmet goals, Becky’s success, Brittany

One of my friends from New Jersey (now residing in California) emailed me yesterday to get an updated address. He has written a book and wanted to get me a copy of it. It contains some of the ideas he bounced off of me during our long hours of night shifts. I can not be credited with the contents of his book but I thought it was a very nice gesture to send me a copy. I told him I was jealous because he was published first, but it is no surprise. He is a much more focused person than I am.


I have often thought about how I could work out the time needed to complete any one of the stories I have in progress, but I am at a loss. There is so much work to do aside from writing and all of it seems to be far more critical than spending time at a keyboard. I do not think there would be any time at the farm and I am equally short of time while in Amarillo. I have to give Mama credit; she can leave me alone while I do computer work – especially if she knows I am trying to write. I cannot say the same for Grandma. I fear if she knew anyone was in the house with her she would feel obliged to talk to them.

It is one of my many unmet goals that I fail to put enough emphasis on to get done. I have to admit to it being one of the more difficult goals to accomplish, but it could be done. It is not a lack of ability. It is a lack of focus. My sincere congratulations to my friend on his success.

Becky left me a message last night that she had passed all he local tests to become a certified EMT. She now must pass the national registry test to fully certify, but having two difficult tests safely behind her, she has reason to celebrate. She called yesterday very early in the morning to express her concerns. At that point she had no idea if she had passed the written test. Passing that was the ticket to taking the practical test. Now it is done. It is a significant accomplishment. If I understand correctly, Charles is also working so the two of them should be okay financially very soon; as financially sound as is possible for them.

Mama and I will be leaving for Bowie this afternoon. I am almost caught up on sleep, almost. I need a few days in the Decatur office this month and the following three days are all I have. Next week is pretty full with safety meetings and training and the following week Mama and I will be leaving to go to Andrew’s graduation. Right after that Mama will be going to New Jersey and when she returns we will be going to Brittany and Andrew’s wedding.

Speaking of Brittany’s wedding, Brittany called last night with some concerns about the wedding so be praying for her and Andrew as they finalize those plans and make their plans going forward from the wedding. Brittany wants to go back and finish her degree at Champion; timing is the issue. She really regrets not having finished her course of study. I think the real regret is leaving in a huff when she left Champion. Being there for her friend Paige’s graduation really struck Brittany hard.

Andrew is in favor of the idea so I do not see a huge issue, but I asked Brittany to call Pastor Miller and get his counsel on it – preferable with Andrew’s participation. To date they have had no pre-marital counseling and I think that is important. Be in prayer for them.

They are on the verge of learning that in life there are thousands of little disappointments and hundreds of major disappointments over the course of years. This becomes more obvious as your life gains in depth and breadth – marriage, children, grandchildren, jobs, etc. The key to happiness is to set well thought out goals and realize Romans 8:28 is still in the Bible. See also Phil 4:5-6. Learning to make practical adjustments is how God’s plan plays out in our lives.

Mother’s Day is coming. Thank you all for the preparations you have made for Mama. I hope I will do my part well.

0 comments:

Post a Comment