Demo Site

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Mama, Chase

Mama finally made it to New Jersey yesterday afternoon. After spending the night in St. Louis she was reassigned to a flight that left at about 9 a.m. for Newark. It was almost exactly twenty four hours from the time her original flight departed Amarillo. I had to text her to see if she was there safely because I was pretty sure she was in Newark but had gotten side tracked with the end of flight ritual of meeting Chase and getting to baggage claim.


She and Chase were headed down Highway 1 & 9 because they had missed the turn to get on the turnpike headed south. Later yesterday evening we talked and she had already been to the doctor with the Fisher boys (and she managed to squeeze in lunch at 25 Burgers) and was on her way to Starbucks for Mrs. Fisher. Things have not changed much since we were last there. It is life on a dead run but Mama is having a good time already.

Just before I lay down for bed last night we tried to talk but there were too many people telling her things in the background and I was tired after getting home from church so we did not talk long. Those of you that have been in on a phone conversation with Mama while someone else is talking to her know what I am talking about. She did mention that she had failed to tell me that a bad storm that ripped through Bowie had torn the roof off of the pig building as well as the cover I put over the logs for our log home. That news, especially the way it was delivered, kept me awake for a little while but I eventually got to sleep and slept to the alarm – which is rare for me.

I am planning on going to the farm today. I am not sure if I will make it. I can always work out of the office in Decatur on Friday and not really miss a beat, but I am pretty tired today and for some reason the four hour drive seems wearisome. That is not usually the case, but I am wrestling with that thought today.

I drove Chase’s truck to work today since I was planning on taking a company truck to Amarillo for some service work, then on to Bowie. I have everything set aside for the trip and it will be a full load if I do go. Grandpa really needs the air compressor I have at the house in Amarillo and it makes sense to have it there rather that here. I also have the little table saw setting aside to load on this trip as well as various items Mama has slated for travel to Bowie.

I am sure Mama and I will talk at some point today but I do remember her mentioning that of all the children in the church, none had changed as much as Marcella. Mama said she did not even recognize her when Marcella first approached her. Most everyone else was quickly recognizable to her – and her to them. She should have a great time on Sunday when the Children’s Church kids are all there to see her.

It seems Chase is glad to have Mama there. I am disappointed that I am not able to be there. Mama and I talked about me coming up for a day or two but the price of flights is out of reach at the moment. Besides, I could end up stuck in an airport like Mama was for more than the expected time. These things are best not left until the last minute. Chase and I knew there was a pretty strong chance things would work out this way when he headed north. I only hope it will not be a point of contention in the years to come. At this point, it has been all we can do just to give him the opportunity to be there for his graduation.

I spoke to the De La Grazas last night after church and Bobby especially was disappointed that we did not bring back Lucy with us. I am sure Andrew and Brittany are enjoying her.

0 comments:

Post a Comment