Demo Site

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Farm news, purchases, Aaron

I took yesterday off both to recover from the week I had last week and to have the time to participate in farming and finance activities. We had a vet scheduled to come to the farm to cut the calves and Mama and I had scheduled the signing for the purchase of the Flex. We got both done and Mama was also able to attend a birthday party for one of the little girls in the church.


The vet arrived at the farm as scheduled at 9 a.m. He pulled into the calf lot and set up pretty quickly. We helped him maneuver the calves into place and I held as he cut on all but one of the calves. He packed up and pulled out at 9:20 a.m. It was very quick. I will not call it painless – nor will I describe it to you in detail. But for future reference, Grandpa and I now know what to do to steer a young bull. Later that evening we doctored the wounds and gave the recommended antibiotics. To say the least, they were all very sore. Today, they should be more so but it is easier to heal from a clean cut. The vet treated us well on the charges we paid later that day. I am glad we went that route.

After Mama took her shower we left for the dealer in Muenster, TX. Chase and Makaila came along so he could see the Flex. Makaila remarked that it looked better in person than it did in the pictures they had seen. I was very relieved. It did take some tome to get the paperwork done but all in all we were on the road in about forty five minutes. Chase and Makaila followed us back in his car and we tried to go out to lunch but the place we were going to take them was closed on Monday – so that fell through.

They left from Bowie in the early afternoon headed to Taco Bell in Wichita Falls. Makaila was needed to help her sister in the job the two of them have as a business and Chase had classes to go to. He had planned on skipping out but the call came for Makaila early enough in the day for the two of them to change their plans. I assume they made it back safely. I will find out today sometime. Mama and I hope this car lasts longer than the Breeze lasted him.

Mama and I left hours later for Decatur where I picked up a truck so I could have it to take to Elk City on Wednesday and she could go to the salon for the first professional nail painting of the nine year old whose birthday they were celebrating. I do not know what time she got back. I went to bed about 8:30 so I know it was after that.

I did talk with Maggie for a while and she related to me the transport problems Aaron had run through as he went from Mississippi to Virginia. With super storm Sandy barreling up the East Coast one of his flights was delayed then cancelled and as he went to the bathroom at one point early in his travels, his phone fell into a toilet which rendered it useless. I think he borrowed a phone to get in touch with Maggie to keep her from panicking from his lack of response to her texts.

Later on in his excursion, he borrowed a phone from a hostess at a military rest in the airport and was telling Maggie he had not eaten all day – not to complain but in answer to her questions about his welfare. At this point it was quite late. The hostess went out and bought him some dinner to eat as he waited for his last flight.

He did finally arrive at the training facility, minus one of his pieces of luggage – the one containing his uniform. After reporting in and getting to his assigned room, he borrowed enough pieces of the uniform ensemble to be properly attired for class. I do not know if they will actually have class today or if the remnants of the storm will delay that also.

Many people on the North East will not be going to work today; some will not be going home for weeks. It is always surprising and sad when a massive weather event like this happens – no matter where it happens.

0 comments:

Post a Comment