Demo Site

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Sitting through retirement, Chase and Makaila

Mama and I spent the day in a retirement seminar yesterday. It was a wealth of great information for both me and Mama. She enjoyed what she got to share of it. The seating was not comfortable so she spent about half the time in the actual meeting. The rest of the time she was in the car with the seat laid back or on a couch in the common area of the building where the meeting was held.


It acquainted her with the many decisions we have to make concerning leaving the corporate world and entering into a phase of life without a company paycheck. It is sobering to see just how much money – and thereby planning and saving – it takes to get out of the corporate race. I am not going to be able to rely on ConocoPhillips retirement to supply all of my post-working needs. That is why we have the farm. (I am certainly missing it while we are away from it this week.)

We got to visit with Chase and Makaila last night for an hour or so. They came by the hotel to eat dinner with us, and then we went to his apartment to feed his snake and to look through the items we have stored there to see what needs to go back to Bowie with us on Saturday. Mama was especially looking for a razor, since she did not pack one for me; we did not find what she was looking for so we had to go buy a cheap one for me to use this week.

On the way back from Chase’s apartment we stopped at Walgreens at Mama’s request. We found a substitute razor and went to check out. The cashier asked if we had our rewards card and Mama asked if she could look it up for us. She asked for the phone number starting with the area code. Mama got a blank stare and said “I don’t remember the area code, but the phone number is 723-etc” Mama, I said “that is the area code.” “Oh good grief, I was thinking she was asking for the zip code.” I knew right then that I was in trouble.

As we progressed through the process of looking up the account we had to change our address to the current address. Mama could not remember the zip code for that either. We finally made it to the end and Mama told the lady she usually does not have this much trouble looking up her rewards number at CVS, “They usually punch in the phone number and it comes right up.” “That could be,” the cashier replied, “but you are at Walgreens.”

Makaila’s mom had her baby – a boy. The only information I know to be correct is that he is healthy and hairy. I was told that information numerous times. He was born last Wednesday. Since Makaila’s mom is distracted by the little one for the moment Chase has been substituting for her in various tasks related to the business they have that are run on the computer. He has set up an invoice system, created a letterhead and made several bid sheets for the dad. Makaila’s dad has forbid her to break up with him for now.

As we talked at dinner Chase showed us his newest gadget; a Nexus 7 tablet. Chase was anxious to share all the details of display pixels, processor speed, adaptability, etc. I have to admit that it pretty cool but I do not see the purpose in my life – except for Mama to play with. Chase also related his latest sales. Makaila finally piped up and said, “Now you see what I have to listen to all the time.” It made Chase blush. Mama liked that.

I will be on the road most of today. I have to visit my direct reports in the three offices in this area to do year end reviews. Mama and I will go to church with Chase tonight at Central Baptist. It will be her first time back in over a month.

It should be a good day.

0 comments:

Post a Comment