Demo Site

Friday, May 3, 2013

Bad day, travel non-plans, weather woes, non-news

Yesterday was not a good day. Aside from losing the sheep, which I had to take care of when I got home, I opened the mail and saw that we got a bill for the MRI of $3500. I had to work through the doctor's office and the billing department of the diagnostic imaging office to finally confirm that the bill is paid in full, but it was a pretty big shock last night. Additionally, the doctor’s office immediately scheduled Mama for arthroscopic surgery in a couple of weeks. She will be doing all of her pre-op work next week.


After being led to believe that the damage was minimal and the only question was how we were going to mitigate pain issues, the news was much worse for Mama than expected. It is not a horrible prognosis, just worse than expected. When you are having a bad day to begin with it seems more discouraging than it typically would.

So, financially, with the diagnostic expenses and the coming hospital bills, we could be in pretty sorry shape for the remainder of the year. Mama was trying to sound encouraging, reminding me it was only money and that it would all work out. Then I reminded her that the trip she was planning to Florida in June and the trip she is planning to Alaska in the late summer both require money out of the same pot we use to pay the medical bills, the farm costs, the construction costs, our living expenses, etc.

For the moment, her travel plans are on hold for the remainder of the summer. Add the financial issues to the recuperation time from the surgery and Mama will be settled into farm life for a good while – at least three months. Her assurance of my ability to “figure it out” only meant that, in her mind, her travel plans are still at the top of her list while I work out the money issues. I will work toward getting Mama to Alaska for the birth of Maggie and Aaron’s child, but I cannot make any promises to do more than that until I get a handle on the medical bills.

Mama is traveling (at least locally) to the farm in Weatherford, TX this morning to take Lily back home. Last night she was struggling with the decision as though we were giving a child up for adoption. I asked her not to ask the family there to keep her for us until we are ready to take her back. I have neither the time not the money to build the fortress necessary to keep sheep out of the reach of coyotes; at least not at this time. So unless she wants me to dispose of Lily’s remains, we had better send her back home.

On the cattle front, all the calves will get their final bottle either today or tomorrow. I do not remember what Mama told me she had decided would be the cut off date for bottle feeding. They are all looking good for the moment. With the unseasonable cold we are experiencing right now that is subject to change, but we will celebrate our little victories. The older three are doing very well but we will have to start feeding them hay next month if the rains do not come. The grass is withering pretty quickly in the blistering winds.

Yesterday the wind speed was over thirty miles per hour throughout the entire day and night. Today is supposed to be about the same. Whether hot or cold, the wind has the same effect; it

sucks all the moisture out of the ground and vegetation. Our garden is not doing well at this point with the high winds and low temperatures.

Monday I asked (via email) if there were any updates from the Licensing group. I got the response this morning. They will be getting back to the potential candidates next week. I find little assurance in that, but at least they responded.

0 comments:

Post a Comment