Demo Site

Thursday, May 2, 2013

Mission’s conference, overfed, a big day for Mama

Missions Conference ended last night. We will really finalize the conference when we give our Faith Promise commitments for this year on Sunday morning. Mama and I are pretty sure what we are going to give but there is still time to pray about it. It was a good conference. We got to meet some great missionaries. Hopefully we will be able to take them on for support in addition to the 115 we already support.


One idea that was repeated during this conference is not a new thought but one that bears repeating. Great men of God have said, and I believe rightly, that God calls enough men in every generation to evangelize the entire world. The problem is that many are not willing to answer that call. That thought ought to make us appreciate even more those who will go.

I do not know if I got overfed spiritually speaking, but I definitely got overfed physically speaking. The food just got better and better each night. I did not load up my plate, did not try everything offered, did not eat dessert each meal, but it was still more than I am used to; much more than what I needed. I will eat minimally for the next several days. That may still not be enough to compensate for this week, but it will be a good start.

One of the stunning disappointments of getting older is that I cannot eat as much as I used to and maintain my weight. I do like to eat but I am adapting to the “eat-to-live” mentality while I attempt to abandon the “live-to-eat” philosophy that has driven me for the last many years. It is also a little disappointing to further limit my intake of certain types of food – mostly the really good tasting variety. Mama has scolded herself a lot lately and wished to be put in isolation on an island where only fruits and vegetables are available for her to eat until her tastes in food change. I am stating to warm up to the idea myself.

Mama is coming to town today for a follow up visit with the orthopedic doctor. With both the x-rays and the MRI results they should be able to discuss applicable treatments for her knees going forward. I am a little relieved that the degradation is minimal to this point; however, we still have to find a repair solution that can mitigate the pain she deals with off and on. At least we have found a medical professional who is more holistically inclined vs. an over-prescriber.

Her biggest concern in the appointment is the timing. It is at 9:30 a.m. In her estimation she will have to leave the farm really early (8:45 a.m.) to make the appointment. I suppose in farm time that is a little early since breakfast is not normally served until 10 a.m. She will have to leave right after the morning feeding is taken care of, but she should be able to make the appointment, shop, have lunch and get back home in plenty of time to take care of the evening feeding and related chores. It will be about the same time I will get there.

This may not seem like a big deal to any of you but I have picked up the mail out of the mailbox at the end of our road the last two days because Mama has not left the farm at all. She really prefers it that way. With a routine like that I can see why the events of today are a pretty big deal; not necessarily a hardship, but a pretty big deal.

Mama called me a few minutes ago to tell me that the older sheep we were hoping to start breeding to grow a flock for our farm were killed and torn apart by coyotes last night. So much for that grand plan. More digging for me when I get home. Lily survived the attack since she was kept in a different area.
We will sell her and abandon those dreams for right now.

0 comments:

Post a Comment