Demo Site

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Rain, the search goes on, Mama


Well, we got rain last night. As I was leaving the house to go to church I was listening to the radio. The announcement was made that the storm headed our way in North Texas was producing tornados on the front and back sides of the of the storm line. The farm was a little to the west of the heavy thunderstorms but I called Mama to let her know. The funny thing is that I had just told her that the front headed to us was not expected to produce any tornados. I think everyone was caught off guard by the intensity of the storms that hit through the night.

On the way home from church I got into the heavy rain. Everyone that was still moving was going about thirty miles an hour because it was nearly impossible to see in the dark with the blowing rain. Water covered both lanes and the lightening was intense. Even the big rigs were pulling off to the side to wait it out. I only had to cover about fifteen miles in those driving conditions to make it to Bowie, so I kept going. It is a rare thing in this area to not be able to drive out of a storm within a few miles.

It was when I was going through town that I really got into some trouble. All the streets I normally take were flooded so had to pick a way home and stick with it. At several points I drove through two feet of water and I had to run a stop sign to make it through one intersection where the water was deeper than two feet. Once I got to higher ground I was okay and I did get clear of the storm as I made my way through town. The car got a thorough rinsing off through it all.

When I got home the power was off and had been for some time. Victoria was sitting in her car charging up her phone. She does not use it for making calls. She uses it as a net reader so her reason for maintaining a charge is dramatically different than Mama’s determination to keep her phone active. Anyway, we all made it safe through the storm and even got a good night’s sleep.

By this morning the power had been restored and sometime today Grandpa will look at the rain gauge and give Mama an update on total accumulation at the farm; I will get the news from her. I am excited to see the big pond. With a runoff like we had last night I am hoping its level rose noticeably. At the very least, the garden and the meadows got a good soaking. The news now is that more of these storms are headed our way tomorrow through the weekend.

Norman is getting a little discouraged because they looked at ten or more trucks yesterday and none of them worked out right for him. The ones he really liked were just out of his price range and the ones he could easily afford were not worth the price being asked. They spent all day in Dallas and Ft. Worth looking but came home without the prize. I am not sure if they will go back out today or not. He has a deadline of next Wednesday to get this done or go home empty handed for this trip.

Mama is getting along much better. She will see the doctor tomorrow. They will change the bandages and evaluate the incisions. It will be the first time Mama will see the surgery sites. I am not sure what she is expecting but I know she will be shocked by the size of the cuts vs. the pain she has endured as a result of them.

I am curious to know how much improvement she will see once the healing process is done.

0 comments:

Post a Comment