Demo Site

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

New computers, new friends, surgery prep, Grandma Kline


Almost everyone in the office here got new computers in the last two days. Many of the machines are not “new” per se, but they are new to us. IT decided that in order to roll out Windows 7 to the entire company the best way was to convert everyone from Dell computers to HP. There is a significant difference – not in the computers, but in the operating system. So we are all struggling to get going again in the new programs. Once we get this working they will start over with something new;  job security.

The man who is taking the role of Training Coordinator seems to be a good guy. He lives nearby so the job was perfect fit for both us and him. I am relieved to be seeing some relief from the more cumbersome duties of that role but I am a little concerned that my workload has diminished somewhat. There will be enough projects in the works to keep me busy for the remainder of the year so I will not have to invent things to do, besides my boss now seems to find value in the position I have.

Anyway, Curtis Boone stopped by my office last night to talk for a while and we got to talking about what we were both doing in our off hours. It turns out he enjoys woodworking and has a pretty complete shop set up at his house. He offered to come by the farm and help in the projects I have going right now. I could certainly use the help and having someone with some shop skills would be a great benefit. We will see what comes of the conversation.

Mama has been in a state of panic for days now with the anticipation of the surgery she will have on Monday. I am not sure I should have let her drive to Decatur yesterday considering her frame of mind. She called me late in the day to tell me that she had stopped at a red light to turn left and seeing no traffic went ahead and made the turn – on the red light. She was shocked that she had done it and was quite apologetic about it, but that will not lower the fine when it is assessed. Oh well, maybe the intersection cameras were not working yesterday.

The nurses at the hospital told Mama that she was not to shave her legs between now and Monday to prevent the possibility of nicking the skin with a razor. Such a cut would lead to the cancellation of her surgery in order to prevent the onset of any hospital related infections – which have become more and more common. Now Mama has that added to her list of worries. I can hardly wait to hear what she tells her friends at church about not even being able to shave her legs on Mother’s Day. Bring out the Cowboy boots and pray for cool weather so the heavy panty hose are not too unbearable.

She left Decatur only a few minutes before me so I met her at Wal-Mart where she was talking to the pharmacist and giving Victoria her car keys. We did a little shopping for a few items she needed to make dinner and went home. After she put the ingredients together we went out to feed the calves, the chickens and the dogs. I had planned on working in the garden again last night but I did not see the sense in planting any more seeds in the pulverized, dusty soil in the garden so we decided to wait until this weekend to see if the predicted rains made it to us. If not, I will plant in what I have and hope for the best.

I was told last night while talking with my sister Sarah, that Grandma Kline is still in the hospital. I had Mama call to see why I was not getting anyone to answer the phone at their house. My mom has an arrhythmia in her heart beat that has the doctors a little worried. Sarah told Mama that there is a possibility that she will be released today but there was no guarantee. If she is able to more around well enough to suit the doctors, then they will let her go home. Knowing the setup of the house she and Grandpa Kline live in, I am relieved they have held her back for the last few days.

It is good to know that all things work together for our good.

0 comments:

Post a Comment