Demo Site

Monday, November 18, 2013

Busy weekend, the last box, moving plans


This weekend was a pretty busy weekend; when is it not? I suppose it started with Mama meeting me in Decatur Fri day evening so we could go to Costco. It is about an hour and a half from the farm. Meeting me here saved me the hour round trip to the farm and back to Decatur. We knew that traffic could be bad and it was a little congested – being Friday evening and all – but it was not too bad. I told Mama we had $160 to spend at Costco so we spent $191. Then we followed that up with another fifty dollars at Sam’s – since that is on the way home.

Meanwhile, back at the farm, I picked up the trim boards we were going to use in the apartment last week on Thursday. All the boards were simple two by fours with slightly rounded edges so I had to route the edges to make them more like the trim I needed. In order to get that done I got out my old table saw and hooked the router to it so I could use the guide attached to the table to repeat the cuts for multiple boards.

It all worked really well; especially since I took the table saw outside of the shop so the dust it would create would not end up being spread over the entire shop.it was a good thing I took the extra time to do that because it did create a huge amount of dust.

While I was working on the trim I just felt the Lord tell me that I would have the table saw set up for use that day. So when I had dulled a bit to the point that I needed to start with another fresh bit I went into the old farm house to check to see if I had another bit like the one I was using. I did not.

When I went into the little closet where I set all my tools as we unloaded the moving van I looked on the shelf and saw a box that I knew contained a steam cleaner I had bought while we were in New Jersey. I had not opened it. When I did I found my table saw motor packed in the box with the steam cleaner. I was thrilled. I had the motor mounted to the saw a few minutes later.

The only problem was that I had lost the safety key that enabled me to use the switch on the saw. As I looked around I found an old pair of tweezers and I cut them to fit into the slots for the safety key. It worked perfectly. So for the first time since we left New Jersey I got to use my table saw – and I used it a lot. I had forgotten how easy it made things for me. Even Mama was a little impressed what I could do with it compared to the little table saw I have been using.

We all ended up quitting pretty early on Saturday but the trim was painted, several doors were trimmed out and sealed and a couple more boxes had been emptied and the contents stowed away. Mama and I are planning on taking the week of Thanksgiving to move our things into the apartment. We still need several items to complete the kitchen, but Mama is willing to make the move anyway –so am I.

I had planned on taking the entire week of Thanksgiving off but I have a new employee coming on Monday of that week so I will need to show up to help get her access to our systems and get her settled into her cubicle. The lady that she is replacing is planning on spending a good deal of time with her to get her trained on her new job so I will not need to be involved very much after the initial security clearance is complete but I feel I need to at least be available to the two of them initially.

It will not be too big an interruption to my vacation – I hope.

0 comments:

Post a Comment