Demo Site

Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Milk calves, changes of plan, answers to prayer


Mama and I thought we had lost our contact with the dairy farmer in Windthorst since he was a little curt with Mama the last time they talked but it turns out he was probably only having a bad day. He called yesterday to let Mama know he had three cows in labor and would like us to get the calves if we still wanted them. We do not know if the offspring will be bulls or heifers but we are on standby awaiting his call.

There is a young mother at the church that wants two bottle calves and she and Mama have talked about her getting the first two we get. I am okay with that since we have made other contacts to get heifers and Tom (the Windthorst dairy man) sells only the bull calves. If that deal does work out we will set the money aside to get a heifer calf when the man selling them off of his nurse cows has some available.

He did call Mama back the other night after I was in bed. He told her that he had sold his last heifer calf that morning but that he would keep her number and call when he got his next batch in. He is a little further away; almost two hours, but it would be nice to raise our own herd. I only need five more since we already have Daisy.

Mama told me last night that Maggie had called and that she was not coming this year. I am not totally sure on the why of the matter but that is her and Aaron’s decision to make and I will respect their decision on the matter. It does change our Christmas plans a little but life will go on.

Cori and Nate are unsure if they will be able to come over either. Not being able to come would be a huge disappointment to Grant but again, life goes on. They are not sure if they will have a vehicle to make the trip since the little van is having problems. They are also unsure if Nate will be given the time off. Cori is going through a particularly rough time (physically) right now she we really need to pray for her.

I had play practice last night so when I got home Mama was cooking up a storm. She and I thought it would be best if she had ready the food items I was going to take for our Thanksgiving meal at work today so I could bring them in last night. That actually worked out pretty well for me. It was easier than trying to remember it all and get it all here in the little truck. The Flex is much cleaner; we do not haul livestock in it.

I got a call from Ernie Flores on my way to the church last night. I had asked him if he would do the tune up on the little truck. It has needed one for months and I have been hesitant to take it to a mechanic for the work to be done. Ernie is a mechanic but he is currently on deputation with the focus of getting to Mexico as a missionary sometime next year. He will be helping a veteran missionary in the town of Xalapa (pronounced Halapa).

I figure it as always better to give God’s money to the people whom He can bless the most. Ernie told me he would come to the farm and do the repairs on Saturday. That will be a tremendous blessing; and an answer to prayer. It is supposed to rain Saturday so we will move inside for the first auto service work to be done in the shop.

It is fun to see things work out.

0 comments:

Post a Comment