Demo Site

Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Floor plans, figuring things out


Mama and I had a good night last night. It was such a pleasant evening that I opened up the garage door in the shop and set some boards up to have a coat of poly urethane applied. The look of the finished wood was beautiful. I went on to cut several more pieces so Mama could continue the process today. The boards will be used to trim out the windows in the apartment.

She and I took some time to finally decide how we want to set our bed in the bedroom so that we have a plan in place for the things that need to fit in the room with the bed. It would be much simpler to arrange without nightstands, dressers and lamps but those are necessary items. When we started settling in on a plan for the layout I realized how small the room actually is. I could have sworn I built it bigger than that; but it is only an apartment.

I was lamenting the fact that we have so much still to do at the apartment, the shop and elsewhere on the farm but the Lord showed me one more time what a tremendous blessing we have in the apartment, the shop and the farm. It really is not a burden, it is a challenge. We have come so far in only one year; there really is a lot to be thankful for. The future work will help me stay busy for a couple years to come.

Mama was cleaning in the apartment yesterday and the sun hit the oven in just the right way so that she could see spider webs in between the glass plates of the oven doors. Later that evening, when we were working by lamplight I got to see the webbing also. I have no idea how to clean it out but it does show that the oven was not used very much. That it was not used much is a good thing. That the spiders moved in is not.

I will try to blow the webs out of place so we are not constantly looking through them as we use the oven, but I can only push them one direction and I am not sure how that will work. I did get the air compressor fixed last night so we will have it available to see if we can clean up the visual interference.

When I picked up the boards I would use for the base trim in some of the apartment I picked up a piece of laminate covered particle board also. It was an awkward size and I had made no plans for its use. As Mama and I were discussing getting the kitchen ready for use I realized I could put that piece on top of the cabinet we will eventually top with a butcher block countertop from IKEA.

After I attached it to the cabinet we found that it would accommodate all four of the chairs we have for the tall table we used in our apartment in New Jersey. At least we will have a place to sit and eat while we take care of other more immediate needs.

It’s fun to see things work out.

0 comments:

Post a Comment