Demo Site

Monday, December 2, 2013

Last week news, coming events


I have to admit that I was not looking forward to coming back to work this morning. After the last week off it was a bit of a struggle to get up and get back in the grind again, but life goes on and since this is what the Lord has given me to do to pay the bills and support our giving program, here I am.

I am a little disappointed at what we got accomplished this week on the farm and at the apartment but with Thanksgiving dinners (at church and at BBTI)and the preparations that accompany that celebration and with the shopping that must be done this time of year and with the day I had to take off to get Victoria’s new puppy, I did not get to spend as much time in actual work as I had hoped. Mama and I had hoped we could move in last week but a lot of little things kept coming up. Besides, we are not in a hurry at the moment since we have the run of the mobile home.

We did get some things done. The bedroom is trimmed out and ready for furniture. We unburied Victoria’s dresser from storage in the farm house and traded it out with Mama’s dresser which we set in the apartment. The living room is almost complete with trim and the bathroom is ready for service. I still have the windows to trim out but the sills are done and they turned out pretty nicely – at least Mama is happy. I sealed up the shop roof at the place where it has been letting in water in a hard rain. I fixed the entry door to the shop and outfitted the garage door with a deflector that will (hopefully) keep the water from getting in there.

 I trenched along the east side of the shop where the water was getting under the wall and I reburied the electrical line so we are a little bit more ready for concrete to be poured for the floor of the next part of the shop. I also sealed the wall where the electric wire enters the shop. I wanted to have that done before the grandkids arrive. I worked on the barn lot and have it ready for Misty to bunk there on the very cold days that will be soon upon us and prepped the final wall in the barn to be sealed when we are ready to get our bottle babies.

We did get a call offering us three calves but the young lady at the church backed out of getting the calves and we are not really in the market at the moment so Mama passed on them. There are plenty of people on Tom’s waiting list so he was disappointed with us not taking the calves. I was a tiny bit disappointed but the bulk of the work falls on Mama and she was not looking forward to the effort for little steers.

We are planning on getting some bottle calves from another individual but they will all be heifers. We are not in need of any more steers – especially since they are not bringing a very good price on the market. What we need to concentrate on is building our own herd. We need heifers to do that. I am not sure when we will be getting the young heifers but it will be soon. That long range plan and the money to support it seems a better investment to me and Mama.

Pray for Mama, she is still having a good deal of swelling and pain in her knees. I am not sure what the right course of action is but I have a feeling it require a great deal of rest – something she is not inclined to do at the moment. We have two very busy weeks ahead of us with play practice and related church activities. Mama wants to continue to move to the apartment as we make progress on that. She would like to be moved in when everyone comes over after Christmas.

We will see.

0 comments:

Post a Comment