Demo Site

Thursday, December 5, 2013

Short days, learning to wait


It would seem that December is evaporating before my eyes. I know intellectually that there are twenty four hours in every day and that every day progresses in similar fashion to the many days before but I would often be willing to bet that there are some days that are shorter than others. Of course, they are balanced out by days that are interminably long.

The psychology of it all eludes me, but we are in a series of days at the moment that seem to be on the far shorter side of “normal.” Intellectually, I can reason that that is not possible but emotionally and cognitively, I am struggling to get the same amount of work done within the seemingly shorter time frame. (The shortening of the lighted portion of our days does not help.)

There are those who would argue that what I am experiencing is not real and the truth of logic and mathematics would be on their side. But I am living it and the angst and stress it is causing me is real enough. I am feeling the desperate urge to “be still.” Oddly enough, God spoke to that need directly.

Last night the pastor preached about patience or waiting on the Lord. He remarked that there are some of us who seem to be extremely patient but he asked, “Are you patient with God?” That stung me. I have come to realize lately that the one area of my life where I have little patience is in the things of God; in waiting on God. Boy, did I have to do some soul searching.

Imagine God asking me for my advice on when I would like something done in my life. How foolish would that be? More foolish than words could describe. There are some times that I think I get it pretty close to right, but those times are not often. Those times are limited by the finite vision I have of my life and the things about me of which I am aware. God sees so much more. I need to trust and wait on Him.

So I looked over my prayer list this morning and realized that the promise-keeping God that I love and trust is working all things to His Glory and, coincidently, to my good.

Victoria is going through a pretty rough patch right now. Things at work have her wound up pretty tight and she is at the point of dreading to report to work every day. A new manager and new helpers in the pharmacy where she works have her pretty stressed out. Anyone who has been in the workforce any length of time has struggled against the same discouragements.

My advice has always been, if what you are doing is moral and scripturally allowable and you are struggling with the circumstances of that employment or the people with whom you work, keep doing what you are doing until God gives you clear direction. In most instances you can rest on the assurance that “this too shall pass.” Whether it is you who needs to change or the people around you that need to change, if you make it a matter of prayer, the change will come. Just bear in mind, the only person you can change is you.

Another area where waiting on God is strongly recommended.

0 comments:

Post a Comment