Demo Site

Friday, December 5, 2014

A night at home, old habits, putting things in service, the pups


Mama was still feeling badly last night so she called Erin to let her know we would not be able to come to play practice. She found out that the Echevaria’s were at Urgent Care with Joseph – their youngest – who is suffering from ear infections. That gave me the evening to get some things done at the house; and I used it to do so.

Grandpa has brought over most of the tools and shelves from the shop at the farm to the house and last night I helped him unload the tool chest that has been a part of my shop since we left Nazarene Publishing House in 1988 and moved to West Virginia. The chest is actually a set of twenty deep drawers that was used to store metal plates that were stamped with addresses – for monthly mailings to supporter’s way back in the day.

Now it has a large assortment of tools from pliers to screwdrivers to scraper blades and knives to large bolts and small valves, etc. It is quite heavy and grandpa complained about having to wrestle it onto the trailer. I usually move it only if I take all the drawers out of it. Anyway, Mama and Grandpa were giving me grief about getting a proper toolbox to store all the items that load down the current one.

I am not sure I can part with it. I know what is in each drawer and where to find those items. Even my children know pretty well how to find what I need from that chest. It has been set up the same way, with the same drawer labels, for over twenty six years. Replacing it may be too much to ask.

Lee came by last night and replaced the leaking valves in the laundry room. It took him less than thirty minutes to get the washer set up for service. It took Mama less time to put the washer in service. I think she did three loads last night. She was one happy home maker when she got those appliances working.

I put most of the closet shelves in last night. There is one that I need to replace the brackets on before I reset it but we have thirty feet of shelving and closet rod ready for service. Mama is hesitating putting the clothes in until she and Connie work out the flooring in that closet. The carpet that was recently put in is not appealing to me and I would rather have something different. I think Mama would also.

I cleaned up the counters in the laundry room, the butler’s pantry and the master bath last night. It looks much better. The countertops in both the butler’s pantry and laundry room – where we have an additional kitchen sink – will need to be replaced or recovered in new Formica at some point in the future, but they are serviceable for now.

We have Allie and the pups in the butler’s pantry for the moment. It keeps her contained and it is a smaller area to keep warm on colder nights. The pups are starting to play with each other now and their antics of pretend fighting are really entertaining. Eventually they will figure out how to move more efficiently but for now it is hilarious to watch as they belly flop or face plant with each lunge.

They’re getting bigger by the day.

0 comments:

Post a Comment