Demo Site

Thursday, December 18, 2014

Adjustments, more Christmas, skunks in the city


Mama and I went to see the chiropractor yesterday right after I got off work. Both of us needed the tugging and twisting and popping he did on our spine. I am a little sore in a couple spots but overall feel much better. When he was examining me he connected my back issues to the stomach and bowel issues I have been dealing with lately. The relief I now feel is a wonderful respite from the heartburn and nausea.

He, like other chiropractors, warned me to begin to stretch and regain my flexibility. Like my dad, I have great core strength and it was difficult for the chiropractor to make the adjustments to my back, but I am horribly stiff. That, in itself, only adds to the issues I continue to have with my back. At least Mama and I have someone nearby we can visit several times a year now.

At church last night the children presented a short play. It was mostly the kids from Master’s Club but they opened it up to other children in the church also. It was about a family traveling to visit Grandma at Christmas who got stranded at a hotel by a blizzard Their van was broken into and the presents stolen and the hotel lost all power because of the storm. Still they found a reason to rejoice in the Lord. It was well done.

We exchanged gifts after a short devotional and altar call and the pastor handed out some thank you cards and fruit sacks. That is the tradition at this church. I think this is only our second time to be here for the gift exchange. Everyone really seems to get into it. There is also a place to pile presents to be given to specific church members so the teens can deliver them during the gift exchange.

Andrew Brooks handed out pictures he had colored to a few people. He explained that he only gave them to his really good friends. Mama and I each got one. His dad, Dennis Brooks, gave out his traditional plateful of baked goods which had a sampling of all the items he normally bakes at Christmas time; pumpkin pie, pecan pie, tres leches cake, brownies, etc. it is not a convenient time of year to be worried over calories or carbs.

During the morning yesterday someone spotted a skunk in our parking lot. Out on the farm in Chico or at the at the farm in Bowie we would have been concerned but not surprised at the sighting but our office is at the edge of a neighborhood, so there was quite a bit of excitement about the visitor.

We have been told over the years that any time a skunk is seen during the daylight hours there is a good chance it is in the last stages of a rabies infection. The rabies virus affects the brain and causes them to act like the one I had to kill the other afternoon at our home. I am not sure where the skunk got to from our parking lot but I sincerely hope no one nearby or their pet is affected.

Rain fell throughout the day yesterday. I am not sure how much we got but it was a great relief to the very parched ground. It also settled the accumulation of leaves we have around the house because of the trees baring themselves to the winter. It has been a long time since Mama and I have heard the rainfall on a carpet of leaves.

That is a very unique sound with plenty of memories attached to it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment