Demo Site

Thursday, May 7, 2015

Rain, applications, cattle, raising kids


As I left the house this morning I looked at the rain gauge and was pleased to see that we had gotten ½ inch through the night. But when I started hearing how much other nearby areas got I was really thrilled that we got only the ½ inch. Bowie got 5”; Alvord got 2.8 and some parts of Denton got over three inches. Our little bit is far better in the long run.

Mama and Victoria spent the majority of the day in Decatur yesterday as Victoria put in applications at various companies. They worked from the library for most of the early afternoon so Victoria could use the internet to fill out online applications. (Not having internet at the house presents a challenge for us every so often.) I do not know what she applied for but what I heard covered a large variety of job types. I believe the one that really interests her is at Wise Regional Hospital. She would appreciate your prayers as she looks into moving away from Walmart.

As time allowed yesterday I looked up a few items of Craig’s List. One thing that I try to keep an eye on is the price of calves. When we bought bottle babies just two years ago the price was $60/head for Holstein bull calves. That price is not $400/head. Beef calves go for almost $900/head. Knowing that that is not sustainable, I have tried to keep an eye on the market.

Yesterday I found a bred back nurse cow for sale with three calves at her side for $3000. That may seem like a lot but the going price of a nurse cow is between $2000-2500. That puts the calves at about $300 per head. Not necessarily a bargain, but in today’s market it is a fair price. I showed the ad to Mama after church last night and she liked the looks of the pictures – so she called the seller. We may go down to his farm on Saturday with the intent of buying the cow and calves – if she is still available on Saturday.

Cori called yesterday to tell Mama that Mykenzie had passed out a couple times yesterday. The first was while Mandy was trimming her hair. The second was shortly after and is more than likely the result of her not being fully recovered from the first episode. A nurse at Cori’s church told Cori that is not uncommon for young girls to pass out while standing as someone is brushing their hair.

She suggested that somehow stimulating the scalp causes the brain to open the blood vessels in the head and allow the blood to drain our – causing a fainting spell. I do not know, but it sounds reasonable. Personally, I have not combed my own hair in thirty years and my daughters rarely had me comb theirs. They are going to the doctor today to have her evaluated but we are not sure what will come of it.

Meanwhile Grant and Blake can freefall from the bunk beds onto the tile floor and laugh about the purple bruises the get as a result. Parenting is a broad field of application of small bits of information which, when you have figured only some of it out, you get to watch your children follow the same process with your grandchildren.

As grandparents, however, we get to sleep through the night.

0 comments:

Post a Comment