Demo Site

Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Christmas setup, miniature headaches, Victoria’s testing, cold weather

The house is quickly taking on the feel of Christmas. Lighted miniature trees, festive placemats on the dining room table, Christmas Snow Globes on the side tables and wreaths on doors and mantles. Garland is out and a place has been designated for the Christmas tree, which we will probably purchase on Friday. Mama is still disappointed that we do not have a lot of lights – especially outdoor lights. I am not nearly as alarmed as she is but stringing lights and extension cords is not on my list of highly enjoyable tasks. Also, since we are the only house on the road and at the very end of that road, it is far less important to have a visible Christmas presence. I have always and only done it for Mama and her love of decorating for this season. When our children were younger it was a more pleasant chore but as they have gotten older, so have I, and my desire to have the house adorned with lights has faded even further. This year we will be applying the lighting inside the house where we can all enjoy it in warm, dry surroundings regardless of the weather conditions outdoors.
Yesterday one of my coworkers mentioned that when he failed to get a sneeze out he would get a “miniature headache”. That set the other two to laughing. “Either you have a headache or you don’t”, one said. “There has never been anything miniature about any of my headaches”, the other added. I can sympathize with all three views but I can relate to the “miniature headache” concept since I have had a minor – or miniature, if you prefer – headache for several weeks now. It is not a huge issue and is more likely related to the fact that I cannot wear a hat at work, so my head gets cold through the day. I do not think it will amount to anything but it can be uncomfortable. At least the Lord has protected me from getting the bronchitis I can get when my head gets cold. 
Pray for Victoria. She is taking a Post Office exam tomorrow. It will be an actual written exam at a designated testing site. The open post she is trying for is in Chico. If she could get that it would be a huge step up in pay, insurance and benefits, etc. We have no idea if there is a real opportunity there or not but she will still need our prayers as she completes the test tomorrow. Fortunately, she and Mama were planning the day in Denton. This just lengthens Mama’s time away from the house on her only day off before Nate, Cori and the kids arrive. (Yes. She is still stressing about that – but mostly in a good way.)
The weather will turn sharply colder this evening we have been told. It makes me wonder what happened in days gone by when there was no forecasting ability. I am happy for the warning. We will definitely heed it and get the plants in, cover the outside faucets, prep the coop, pig building and the goat areas for adequate shelter and heaters if needed. The waterers will freeze and we will deal with that as needed. They will also thaw as the day warms up. 

I am sure it will bother the animals less than it will bother Mama.

0 comments:

Post a Comment