Demo Site

Wednesday, December 7, 2016

FBI, greedy cattle, rearranging

Last night, Mama, Victoria and I took our final test for this semester of FBI. I felt pretty good about the test but both Mama and Victoria were pretty sure they missed a few. It was interesting the way the test was structured. There were the normal multiple choice and true/false sections but there were three sections that were “put the following in the correct order”; the Ten Commandments, the Temple Furniture, and the Outline of the Bible. For some reason, it bothered me for #1 to be “f” and #2 to be “d”. I stared at it for a brief moment trying to get it to line up in my head and even when I started I was unsure if I was getting it right. After studying them in order – those were the instructions – it threw me off to see them so far out of order. After I finished the test I found out everyone struggled with the same thing. Victoria even asked our director if she was doing it right. With class finished for now we are glad to have the time off for a few weeks – especially since Christmas is almost upon us – but we always look forward to getting back into the class the next semester starts.
Mama told me as we were about to leave for class that the cattle had busted into the equipment shed where I had put the reserve bales of hay. I did not build the shed to withstand the jockeying of cattle as they fight over the best spot to attack a bale of hay so I was anxious to see if any damage had been done and get the fences back up again. But we were out of time to do it before class so I had to wait until we were through with our celebratory dinner after the test was complete. The young people in the class were not enthused about going to I-Hop so we went to Brahms. It was a fun, relaxed get together with some extras; the spouses of several classmates met us for the dinner. Even with the time we took there we were home two hours earlier than normal.
When we got home Mama and I changed into some farm clothes and headed to the shed. I told Mama I was not upset at the cows. I suppose I was more upset with myself for not getting the barriers more securely placed. I was impressed by the damage the cows had done to part of the fencing I had put around the shed but we were able to stretch it out and reuse it temporarily. I need to replace all the fencing with proper gates but I ran out of funds before I could purchase the gates I really wanted at the time. We wired in the temporary gates and fencing in the hope of keeping them out for a few more days – until upgraded repairs can be made. I have a bale of hay set out for the cows and will put another out no later than Thursday. So, they are not that hungry. They are just greedy. (Nature imitating life?)
Mama is in the process of getting some pieces of furniture moved to Grandma and Grandpa’s so we can make more space for the Mortenson crew. All the items in question needed to be relocated anyway so it is a good thing overall. Nothing like waiting until the need is pressing before addressing it, but such is our life. Along the same lines, I have yet to winterize the house and buildings and temperatures will be in the low twenties by Thursday night. Better late than never.
 Lunch was catered at work today in celebration of the Christmas season. It may seem a little early but the rest of the month is a packed schedule – especially as people who are more senior in the company try to use their vacation before the year ends. (They have a “use it or lose it” personal time off system.) I was able to get a plate for Mama and take it to her at the school before they cleared the tables. It was pretty good food and since Mama was not expecting me to show up for lunch, all she had was a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. 

The plate I loaded up for her was a pleasant surprise – but I was too late. She has already eaten so we will split the plate for dinner tonight.

0 comments:

Post a Comment