Demo Site

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Cabela's and Campers

Version:1.0 StartHTML:0000000167 EndHTML:0000003852 StartFragment:0000000457 EndFragment:0000003836
We spent a very pleasant day over at Cabela's in Pennsylvania. I have not adopted the local idiom of referring to Pennsylvania as Pennsi. Nor have I adopted calling an avenue an ave, or for that matter, referring to New York City as “The City”. It is part of the Texan rebel in me and the many years of my mother's instruction in language to keep us from imitating the local dialect as we grew up among the “drawl” of south Texas.
Anyway, we went to look at campers prior to going to Cabela's. We are toying with the idea of getting back into RV'ing. There may be the possibility, depending on location, of living in a camper for several months to a year while we save money for a permanent dwelling. Where that location is is still a matter of prayer and much discussion.
The little one was with us which gave us an immediate idea of just how child-friendly each of the different models were. Plus, it is always eye-opening to do things like that with a little one to see how they react to the placement of drawers, doors and electronics.
In one camper she picked up a controller and started pushing buttons. We panicked. Okay, I panicked. It turned out to be the controller that inflates the mattress in the sleeper sofa we were sitting on, I can only imagine what shape the sofa would have taken if we had not stopped her pretty quickly.
We ate lunch at our favorite restaurant – Wendy's. There is a Cracker Barrel in the immediate area but I tend to see those as good bathroom stops when we are traveling. We rarely ever eat there. Our pastor almost stopped breathing when I told him we went to Wendy's rather than Cracker Barrel. But it is hard to beat two bucks to feed the baby.
Cabela's is a great place to stroll around. It is impossible to see everything there in one trip, so it is best to go with an objective. My objective was fishing rods and reels and crossbows. Last time I was there, I was looking at kayaks and one-man fishing crafts. I always find what I am looking for and so much more.
Plus there is such a wonderful variety of stuffed animals from polar bears and Arctic foxes to elephants and alligators. My personal favorite is the safari area with lions on the hunt, but I also like the black bears challenging one another over a moose. It is a fun few hours. It was too much for the baby who fell asleep in the shopping cart which gave Mama some time to look at the more feminine offerings at the store.
It was a long day and we were all three tired when it was done – especially since it is an hour-and-one-half drive each way. It is a trip we have to make a full plan for, but I always enjoy it. The good news, we spent no money. I walked away wanting to spend about twelve hundred dollars, but I walked away. Not only is that cheaper, it is wiser since I did not go planning to buy, only to shop.
It is better to start shopping and doing your research while there is no money to make the purchase, translate that, when you are broke. Right now, I definitely qualify and it looks like I will be shopping for quite a while.

0 comments:

Post a Comment