Demo Site

Friday, May 14, 2010

The Pout-Pout Fish (by Deborah Diesen), Mama’s Voice, Vacation preparation

My wife has always read books to the children in her care. During the many years of raising our seven children she read and reread her way through many dozens of books. Now most of the reading is done for the children she watches (just prior to nap time) and for the grandkids (via Skype).

One of the books that have recently caught the attention of my wife and daughter, as well as many of the teachers at our small Christian school, is the Pout-Pout fish by Deborah Diesen.

It is about an unhappy fish that spreads his unhappiness to everyone around him as they try very hard to cheer him up. Nothing works. No argument convinces him until the Kiss-Kiss fish shows up. Her kisses change his entire world view and transform him into a happy, affectionate, Kiss-Kiss fish. There is a wonderful illustration of the transformation of the pout to a smile. It always makes the kids looking at the picture laugh as my wife’s voice changes to reflect the happy mood.

I have not told my wife but the book sort of mirrors our own lives. I was very much like the Pout-Pout fish when she met me. She was, and still is, the Kiss-Kiss fish in my life. Our children have always wondered why I take every opportunity to hug and kiss my wife – often to their great embarrassment. It is because I remember who I was as opposed to who I now am.

I love telling stories to children, captivating their imaginations and painting pictures with words and expressions, seeing how they get absorbed in the situation of the adventure I am trying to share with them. But I really love to see and hear my wife reading to children. When she does, it is my turn to get lost in the story; to get lost in her voice. What a love for books it has created in so many little hearts.

Right now we are preparing to travel to Hot Springs to visit our children there – five of them to be exact. We were supposed to be giving one of our daughters away in marriage on this trip, but the bride and groom decided to move the date up by a month. So we will just be doing a reception for them in celebration of the wedding now a month past.

It will be the first time my wife and have flown together in some time. My youngest son will be traveling with us, but like many of my children, flying is “old hat” to him so there is very little excitement there. But, for us, it is always fun to get ready to go on vacation. The packing, planning and more than usual liberality in spending, make it an exciting time. This year the Lord really planned our finances in a great way so that we have enough money to make the trip without the use of credit cards or the burden of worry.

We have not made any big plans for our time there and we do not plan on spending much once we are there. The really big plan is simply to be there; all of us together, our seven children, two grandchildren and our two sons-in-law, along with Grandma and Grandpa (my wife’s parents) and the dog. Fun is ahead and this Kiss-Kiss fish is looking forward to it!

0 comments:

Post a Comment