Demo Site

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Hybrids, Sons-in-law

We got back yesterday from our trip to Hot Springs. The original plan was to attend our daughter's wedding, instead my wife met our new son-in-law for the first time on their one month anniversary. That is another story in itself.
Since we had free tickets to fly round trip on Airtran, we had to fly into Memphis, TN and travel from there by car to Hot Springs. It is only about three hours driving time between the two destinations. Not too bad. So we rented a car to make the trip.
We were given a new Nisan Altima Hybrid. I asked if there was anything I needed to know about the car and the salesman simply said, “It's quiet.” I was a little surprised but as it turned out that was the staggering difference with this car to any other vehicle I had driven.
When we got loaded and were about to hit the road I was not sure if the car was running and it has no key to insert and turn, only a button to press. So I pressed the button and all the dash lights went out. I honestly could not tell any difference between running and not running except that the lights were no longer lit.
So I hit the button again and the dash lights came on. I put the car in gear and pressed the accelerator and we drifted a few inches. The engine was not running. So I put the car back in park and pushed the button again and moved the gear selector to the drive position and pressed the accelerator. This time we jumped forward. The car was now running. I could not tell but it obviously was running. Off we went.
About an hour down the road we stopped to stretch and use the bathroom. We got an ice cream cone at the McDonald's where we had stopped and got back into the car. I pressed the button and the lights came on but once in gear I knew the car was not running. So we got out the owners manual and read the quick guide. I then learned that like most cars I have ever driven where it is required that the brake be pressed to put the car into gear, in our rental, the brake must be pressed for the car to be given permission to start. Starting, with this hybrid, engaged the electric motor which made no sound that I could tell, so I put the car in gear and it really was running. We had very few problems after that other than Mama and my son wanting to test the speedometer since it was ranged up to 180 mph.
Would I ever own one now that I have driven one? Probably, but not one that small.
For some reason, I am now struck by the fact that I am a father-in-law. With my first daughter's marriage, it seemed a natural outcome of a very circumspect and proper courting relationship between my daughter and the man she married. We had a fair amount of time to work our way into the newly developed relational hierarchy.
With this marriage, it was more of a rush and having met the man only once before the marriage took place it was not nearly so comfortable. As I said, my wife did not meet our new son-in-law until they had been married a month so he will have to excuse us as a pair of old fogies gets used to the idea. I am sure it will grow on us.
I am happy for our daughter and her husband and I wish them the best. I will pray for them accordingly.

0 comments:

Post a Comment