Demo Site

Saturday, May 29, 2010

Overdoing it, Recovery

On the way home from Arkansas it was obvious to me that we had attempted to do too much when we were there for a visit. The most tell-tale sign for me was how much we slept. Mama and my son slept for most of the three hour drive to Memphis to make our plane connection and I slept through both of the flights, which is very rate for me.
When we got home Mama got sick with the typical sore throat – which comes from the dry air on the plane – but went on to develop a low-grade fever. She took some Nyquil and went to bed early but I had suggested that if she woke up too early she should take another dose and I would take care of her normal morning errands.
She woke me up about 1 a.m. to tell me she had passed out in the kitchen and her head was hurting. I had only been asleep a couple of hours do I was groggy and slightly irritated. (Terrible, huh?) But I got up and looked in the kitchen to see if anything was broken or needed to be cleaned up. All was okay there so I went back to see if I could more clearly understand what had happened.
It turns out that when she passed out she hit her head hard enough on the kitchen floor to leave a small blood spot on the flooring. She had deftly missed both rugs we placed on the floor after we moved into the apartment – because the floor is so cold. And she had laid there for several minutes before she came to. I got her some aspirin and water and helped her get comfortable. We went back to bed, to a troubled sleep, for several hours.
Now three days later she is starting to recover. She has been sore in her back, neck and head for a long three days. She is not sick very often and after it is all over I will have to get an honest appraisal of whether I have been too intolerant – we men tend to get that way I am told.
Compared to my granddaughter’s tumble into the muck on the edge of the pond where we were fishing, Grammy’s (That’s my wife.) tumble has been a bigger concern, but she is on the mend.
Maybe I can regroup now and check to see if the mud bath effected my granddaughter’s desire to go fishing with Papi (That’s me.) again.
My interview on Wednesday went very well, but how much can be said in a thirty minute interview. I was promised that I would be called within the next two weeks whether it was to set up a face-to-face interview or to be told I was not a candidate for the position. I cannot ask for more than that.
Soon I will take my wife on a real vacation, where we have no urgent plans, where we relax, where we are not working doing all the running and all the planning, but that may be a long time away from us. Someday.

0 comments:

Post a Comment