Demo Site

Monday, February 21, 2011

Downgrading, military service, starting small

It has proved more difficult than I had thought to downgrade my cell phone contract. I may have found the right phone, but instead of signing a two year contract, Chase has talked me into getting a used or cheap phone and maintaining the current contract without the data plan. Putting that idea into action has been the difficult part. It is hard to get anyone to help with that idea.


I would like to get the Rugby or similar phone, but I am hesitant to purchase it off E-bay. I do not want to spend the extra cash to buy a Go Phone in the interim, but it may be the only way – other that using Maggie’s discarded phone for a few weeks while we pull this all together.

I still have my company phone. I am not thrilled with the Blackberry, but it is hard to beat free. Why do I bother to keep the AT&T contract at all? Because it would cost Victoria and Brittany a fortune if they are not under my contract with their AT&T accounts. Not necessarily a good way to go about this but for the next two years I am stuck.

Andrew Kim spent the weekend with us. He flies out this morning and Brittany will head back to Hot Springs shortly after seeing him off. He is in the Air Force Academy and is doing very well. I think he had a little more than two years left. He and Brittany are interested in each other so we will see how that works out in the months to come. There is no hurry since both of them have at least two more years to complete a degree.

The fact that I have two daughters interested in military recruits is interesting. As Maggie learns how to conform to the demands on Aaron’s life, she and Brittany may find a lot of common ground in their romantic relationships. Maggie is only beginning to understand the trials of working as a third part with the military as she and Aaron attempt to set a date for their wedding. I have a feeling that it will all come together pretty fast once they reach that agreement.

As I reinforced with Maggie, in Andrew’s presence, the fact that she would have to find out where she is allowed to fit into Aaron’s life, Brittany got to hear the entire discussion. Andrew verified to both girls that I was pretty close in my assessment. I do not bring it up to discourage them but to make them aware that, at least for the time of their service, these young men will be more answerable to the military than to their spouse.

Mama and I bought two blueberry plants the other day. It is a start to the blueberry patch we want to have on the farm. Granted, it is a small start, but it is a start. Besides, both of us like to grow things and plants that produce a product or provide a service are always welcome whether on a patio or in the field.

It’s the little things that keep a dream alive.

0 comments:

Post a Comment