Demo Site

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

On the road again, Setting goals

Mama and I will be leaving for Decatur early in the afternoon today. I think we are going to be ahead of the coming winter storm but we will see. It is supposed to be bad overnight in Amarillo with three to five inches of snow by tomorrow morning. In Decatur we are supposed to have some freezing rain and some icy patches but the brunt of the storm should be to the north of us. Again, we will see.


I have two days of training during which Mama will shop and look around the area. We hope to go to church on Wednesday night at a church recommended by our pastor. The church is in Fort Worth, about thirty minutes away, so it will depend on the weather. At the very least it will give me and Mama some time alone.

As we were talking about the church in Fort Worth Mama remembered a missions letter that was read several weeks ago in which a church planting missionary stated that he was going to plant a church in Denton, TX. Mama and I were thinking that it might be nice to be a part of a church planting activity. We helped start a church in New Jersey, but we continued as a part of the planting, sponsoring church. It was difficult on both churches, but now both churches are going strong.

I know Cori has been desperate for some time alone with her husband, but they have not been able to work that out. We are praying about that situation. We are all wondering how to pray specifically about it, but I feel that as we continue to pray, God will fill in the specifics.

All are well in our home in Amarillo. No telling how long that will last, but we will enjoy it for now. People around us are slowly getting interested in herbs and home remedies especially with some of the lingering illnesses they have been experiencing. I know it is something that will become a huge part of our culture again as times get rough, but I do see the interest growing. I am desperate to get more training, to get more answers and I have a plan to do so – if it works out.

I will join Mama later this morning at the Preacher’s Conference at our church. I made the decision to do so on the way in this morning so it will be a surprise for her. With this morning in the office and the travel later today, I will more than get my hours in. I do not ever want my boss to wonder if I am being honest about my time so I always put in more hours than required; sort of paying things forward.

Right now I am studying a lot of information on setting goals. It is the time of year that each of us has to present our goals for the year to our bosses and I have never been diligent about the process. Now I am a boss and I have employees that I will have to recommend for recognition and raises late in the year so I want to know how to produce good results for them; results that make them stand above their peers.

I have learned a lot, not only those things that will make me excel in the business world, but practical ideas that are applicable in everyday life – learning how to excel in a way in which everyone wins.

I have never been competitive, but I have always had a great interest in helping others. Now I get to - in a business sense.

0 comments:

Post a Comment