Demo Site

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Making lists, Single Awareness Day

Mama showed me the list that is being made for the farm we are beginning to talk about. It was quite extensive. Victoria was the primary author, or scribe, with input from several sources including Mama, Grandma and Grandpa. It covered the farm, the houses, barns, outbuildings, coops and all related animals, the garden and all its desired plantings, an orchard and vineyard, the use of the pastures and fields, etc.


If anyone is ever able to afford such a place it will be very impressive. I am not sure if it will be very productive, but it would be fun to try. The whole exercise is to get a place in working order that could feed and support us if things get really bad in our country; in the world. We are not looking for the end times, only a stop gap solution in case things do get bad economically.

We never were able to make a go of the farm we lived on in West Virginia because it was never set up to produce enough for three families. It did produce some and we thoroughly enjoyed everything it gave back to us, but in large part it was a big money pit; more of a gentleman’s hobby than a money maker. I am fearful the path we are taking will take us in the same direction. At the very least, we can have some fresh potatoes and some uncontaminated meats and eggs.

Chase has officially renamed Valentine’s Day as Single Awareness Day. I personally think it was devised to sell flowers and gifts in the months after Christmas when the blues of repaying the credit cards overcharged during Christmas have begun to settle in. Sadly, I was not able to get Mama anything for Valentine’s Day; at least not on the day that it is celebrated. (We paid cash for everything and we ran out of any surplus in late January.)

We will be going out to a Valentine’s dinner with the church and I am way ahead on the flower purchases. As for candy, nothing beats Grandpa’s fudge and we have had more than enough of that. She did get me a card which I have not seen yet so I think if I am able to stop on the way home today, I might be able to exchange cards with her at least. Anyone who knows us is very certain that she is my Valentine.

Seth interviewed yesterday at Sonic – which is right outside our backdoor – and he got the job. He goes in today for an orientation and they will be starting him on the grill. To say he is nervous is an extreme understatement. He said that this is way outside his comfort zone. He said he barely slept Sunday night. In fact, it was funny to hear everyone of the kids complain about not getting good sleep Sunday night.

Seth was worried about his interview Monday morning. Chase was worried about all the paces he will be taking getting to the school Monday morning – and they did. Maggie was worried about some guy named Aaron being away from her on Valentine’s Day. Victoria was just worried for some reason she could not explain and Mama was worried about me. I was sleeping like a baby. I was too tired to worry. It was all kind of funny because the first song we sang Sunday morning was “Count your Blessings”.

I guess none of us paid attention.

0 comments:

Post a Comment