Demo Site

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Seth is working, Chase is wanting

Seth really worked yesterday. We sent Chase over to check on him about 6 p.m. and he was told that Seth would be there until at least 9 p.m. Chase told us Seth was back on the grill cooking up a storm. I can only imagine it to be a sharp learning curve for him – but he has a job. I am just not sure I would have wanted the first burger he cooked. God bless the person who actually got it!


Chase is chomping at the bit to get a job. He is hoping to hear today from one or more of the places where he put in applications. Since he has no school tomorrow, he is anxious to use the day to hunt for more prospects. I do wish him well, but I know it will be a hardship on Mama since she has to do all the running to make it happen before the job comes and afterward.

After blizzard conditions last week the temperatures are now over eighty degrees. This morning the temperature was 55F. I could have left the plants out on the patio overnight but with the extremes of the area I was afraid to trust the predictions of the National Weather Service – even though their local office is here at the Amarillo airport.

I have stirred up quite a bit of anxiousness here at work by asking for permissions people are afraid to grant to me. I have been commissioned to take on the task of reorganizing the files on the main server for the group here in Borger. The IT group is thrilled that someone is going to look into the mess. People who have all their work files (their life’s work) on that server are less enthusiastic.

I will have to notify the entire group to begin wearing their steel toed shoes to work because to get this done I will have to step on quite a few toes. It is like being commissioned to go into someone’s garage, attic, workshop, and storage shed and choosing what they are allowed to keep, how much they are allowed to keep, where it will be stored and how it will be stored.

Most of us are comfortable with the mess we have made. We know where to find what we are looking for regardless of how it looks both in the physical world as well as in the electronic world. And for those who are less comfortable in the electronic world it is a scary thought that something they need access to will now be moved to suit someone else’s expectations.

The funny part of all of this is that I am among the least qualified to tackle this assignment but by right of the office I occupy, the task falls in my lap. I can only imagine that there will be plenty of oversight and countless suggestions to sort through. The good part of this is, since all of the material is in electronic format, what is done can easily be undone as long as I am careful, but someone has to start the process and I have been chosen.

This assignment ought to be fun.

0 comments:

Post a Comment