Demo Site

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Aaron’s visit

Aaron was able to squeeze some time in to visit Maggie and our family between Basic Training and reporting to his first duty station in Pascagoula, Mississippi. Mama, Maggie and I picked him up at the airport at about 9:30 p.m. on Saturday night and took him home briefly. He and Seth spent the night over at Grandma’s house since there was not enough room in our house. I think Grandma kept him up until after 1 a.m.


He was up again before 4 a.m. and lay awake until Maggie answered her phone around 7:30 a.m. after which she went over to get him. That is a very short night especially when you consider that Saturday was time change night – springing forward. But to his credit he did well through Sunday School and church; much better than Maggie who does not do well at all on less sleep. The two love birds stayed busy through the afternoon with lunch at Grandma’s, several short walks and thirty to forty minutes stretched of staring goo-goo eyed at each other; the precious moments broken only by Victoria’s “Good grief!”

Mama and I took over the children’s churches this Sunday morning and we were so focused on those preparations that we did not even think about taking pictures. It was an oversight we were soon reminded of when Aaron’s mom asked about pictures. It is hard to remember that we are sharing these moments across multiple families, not that we are selfish, only distracted by the moment and so many other pressing matters, we simply forget.

I smiled at one point when we were going somewhere and I was able to see Aaron and Maggie in the rear view mirror. They were in the back seat of the van because Victoria was adamant about having them behind her. Anyway, as I glanced every now and then at the two of them staring at each other like a mommy looks at her new baby, I thought, I can’t ask if Mama and I looked that silly to her parents at that stage of out romance, because I know we did. Twenty nine years later our children still tell us how silly we look sometimes.

Maggie chose well. I have always been impressed with my son-in-law Nate, Cori’s husband. I believe Aaron will carry that high standard forward. I have prayed for many years for the spouses of my children and now to see God fulfill those prayers is nothing short of miraculous.

I can only hope that Aaron’s family feels as comfortable and as confident about our daughter Maggie as we do about Aaron. When they got lost trying to find a restaurant after church Sunday night and Maggie was freaking out I was a little worried but then I had to remember that she knows how to get to church, to Grandma and Grandpa’s and to work, other than that she does not venture off the known path.

We told Aaron, it’s not possible to get lost in Amarillo. Just turn around and follow the road to I-40 or I-27. Every major road will cross one of the two and most times both of them within a few minutes from any point in town. He was enjoying the moment; Maggie not so much, but when you live in a town that you can cross in fifteen minutes going any direction you might choose, “lost” is a little too strong a word to choose.

They finally ate at Burger King. I told Maggie it is not the amount of money spent that is important, it is the amount of time spent that matters. He dropped Maggie off and took her car over to Grandma’s house to spend the night.

She was up waiting for him.

0 comments:

Post a Comment