Demo Site

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Desolation, Rain, Ticket? Vehicle decisions

If I had ever thought about transferring to Midland, the thought was put to rest for good on Monday afternoon as I drove there for a training class. From Lubbock south to Lamesa the landscape is monotonous, flat and treeless for the most part. From Lamesa to Midland it is difficult to find a redeeming feature. There was an occasional oasis, but most of the landscape was empty.


I looked at farm houses that did not have a blade of grass on the four or five acres where the house and barn stood. It was all sand. It reminded me of driving from Pensacola to Fort Walton Beach without the bay to lend its attractiveness to the view. Sand was blowing across the road, sandy plowed fields expanded as far as the eye could see and in each one the wind had filled the furrows with the blowing sand. Were it not for oil I cannot imagine how anyone who owned the land could make a living off of it.

As I was driving in today I noticed lightening flashing all around me. Now, as I sit in the office, the rain is pelting the windows with amazing force. I am glad I am not out in it. It is one of those driving rains that soak a person regardless of the size of the umbrella used. I am hearing hail hit the glass intermittently. I feel sorry for anyone out in it.

Yesterday, as I left Midland, I made a right turn on red at an intersection where two lanes were right turn only. I made the right turn on red from the left of the two lanes after making a complete stop – like we do in Milton at an intersection there. After I made the turn I got to thinking about it and realized, I do not know if that is legal in Texas. There was a traffic camera set up on that intersection, so I guess I will find out.

I told my boss about it this morning and he shook his head and laughed. He told me he never shared ticket information with anyone unless it was for an accident. He said if I get the ticket, just pay it and move on. The only concern I have after that is the cost.

It turned out that the noise in Victoria’s car was a lower ball joint rubbing on the rim. Replacement cost was almost $500, but the car is well worth the money to keep it going. Mama, Victoria, Grandma and Grandpa are still debating the fate of the Lincoln, so it is sitting quietly in the driveway at Grandpa’s house. I remain both undecided and uncommitted with regard to it. I will let that decision come later. I believe it is one of those decisions that will make itself. If we do get the opportunity to sell Grandpa’s truck, they will need something.

We were looking at a 2002 F-250 on a lot near the house. It was clean for the most part but we were unable to hear it run because of a bad battery. Grandpa, Mama and I were pretty excited about it because of the price. Grandpa went back on Monday and they put him off until Tuesday – they had to buy a new battery for the truck. On Tuesday, Grandpa got to hear it run and was pretty excited until he looked at the odometer 511,000 miles (more or less). Unfortunately it is not something we want to spend $3000 to buy a new engine for; not to mention the drive train and the transfer case.

We’ll pass for now.

0 comments:

Post a Comment